2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

DIY Homemade Plenum Plate

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 08:24 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I also wondered about the gasket being "pushed" the wrong way...it would be interesting to see your findings...

Old 01-24-2012, 09:37 AM
W8 a minute
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I mentioned previously my plenum gasket had been replaced previously. The one I removed had a "plastic" feel to it. It wasn't a paper gasket.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:12 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Crackshot
So is it safe to say that using the steel plate is fine as long as you use a quality gasket?
and shorter bolts.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:13 AM
Crackshot
Professional

So is it safe to say that using the steel plate is fine as long as you use a quality gasket?

Old 01-24-2012, 01:34 PM
PapaG
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been reading up on the plenum repair threads and am planning on doing mine sometime very soon. I should have the parts soon (buying some stuff from a member here) and I was wondering how many of you have used the Dorman gasket set? I have heard some iffy stuff about the Dorman parts but thats what I will be getting...I just don't want to put the work into this project and use inferior gaskets and have to redo it all down the road. So any personal experience with this gasket set? Good or bad...? I saw an earlier post talking about the coolant hose busting shortly after installation.
Another question also. If using a 1/4 in. alum plenum belly plate then is it ok that the bolts with the Dorman kit are same length as stock? I am assuming from all the threads I have read that if using stock plate then bolts are too long but if using thicker plate then stock bolt length would be ok...?
Yeah I know it's some noob questions that have probably been answered before so please excuse my ....noobishness

Old 01-24-2012, 01:52 PM
woodtrucker
Professional

I used Fel-pro. Most on here have used fel-pro.
Here is my cost list. Just swapped mine over the weekend and so far (100 miles) it has been a success!

Last edited by woodtrucker; 01-24-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:36 PM
Shaggy433
Rookie

Originally Posted by PapaG
I've been reading up on the plenum repair threads and am planning on doing mine sometime very soon. I should have the parts soon (buying some stuff from a member here) and I was wondering how many of you have used the Dorman gasket set? I have heard some iffy stuff about the Dorman parts but thats what I will be getting...I just don't want to put the work into this project and use inferior gaskets and have to redo it all down the road. So any personal experience with this gasket set? Good or bad...? I saw an earlier post talking about the coolant hose busting shortly after installation.
Another question also. If using a 1/4 in. alum plenum belly plate then is it ok that the bolts with the Dorman kit are same length as stock? I am assuming from all the threads I have read that if using stock plate then bolts are too long but if using thicker plate then stock bolt length would be ok...?
Yeah I know it's some noob questions that have probably been answered before so please excuse my ....noobishness
I was wondering the exact same thing about the bolts.. I just bought the plate off of ebay and it came with bolts. Those are the ones I think I'm going to use. I also bought the Dorman kit from orielly's (wish I would have saw that Rock Auto had that kit for damn near half the price!) Going to be doing the swap this weekend.

I went to the junkyard yesterday to remove the intake off of a durango just for practice so that I know what to expect when I do mine and if I break something its not as bad as if it was on mine BUT it was pretty easy to do didn't run into any problems and it took less than 1.5 hours to get it off!

Old 01-24-2012, 06:51 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaggy433
I was wondering the exact same thing about the bolts.. I just bought the plate off of ebay and it came with bolts. Those are the ones I think I'm going to use. I also bought the Dorman kit from orielly's (wish I would have saw that Rock Auto had that kit for damn near half the price!) Going to be doing the swap this weekend.

I went to the junkyard yesterday to remove the intake off of a durango just for practice so that I know what to expect when I do mine and if I break something its not as bad as if it was on mine BUT it was pretty easy to do didn't run into any problems and it took less than 1.5 hours to get it off!
the aluminum plates are thicker so stock bolt length isnt an issue...

Old 01-25-2012, 06:27 PM
peshewa
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you make this also for the 3.9 V6 them tell me & I will buy one!

Quick Reply: DIY Homemade Plenum Plate