2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

lucas products

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 11:32 AM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MOpar filters...no matter what they are, are better than the fram "orange" filter. Those things are JUNK.
I had a bad experience with Lucas tranny additive in my truck. The tranny surged and bucked and so I had to change the fluid twice in a two week period. Never again!

The oil additive is a viscosity thickener like STP or Hyperlube. But if it makes your engine last longer, why not run it?
We could probably debate the fuel additive. To me, nothing works better than Techron. But Lucas might be #2.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:42 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

+1 to the Techron.

I have only gassed up at Chevron for the last 2 years. Before that I would go to whomever was cheapest. At about 60,000 miles (4 years ago or so) I did the first Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner cleaning that was ever done on the engine. White smoke billowed out of that engine the likes of which have not been recorded yet on Youtube. The white cloud from that may still be hovering over Northwest Indiana somewhere...

At 85,000 I did a second MCCC treatment. It pour white smoke again. So bad, that the neighbor's wife about 3 doors down came outside and exclaimed, "God Damn, somebody's been burnin' tires out here." I LOLed at that one.

At that time I was reading up on fuel system cleaners and most sites I read ranked Techron as the best additive out there. I started going to Chevron exclusively after that, which was about 2 years ago.

A month ago I did another MCCC treatment at 105,000. No smoke, not even a bit, wasted a can of MCCC. I don't bother adding stuff to the gas anymore.

Techron works, and it's already in the gas at Chevron. You can buy a bottle for about $8, or you can spread that $8 across the cost of your fill-ups at Chevron.

Got caught in San Antonio last year low on gas and couldn't find a Chevron. Stopped by a Quiktrip, as they are also supposed to be top-tier rated gas, and the stations are heavy volume so they turn over quite a bit of fuel. Truck sounded like crap all the way back to Dallas, just a noisy racket on acceleration and a rougher idle. I don't use anything except Chevron anymore.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:50 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

Aim4, I noticed that Chevron gas in AZ had a higher octaine than in Texas along the I-40 corridor.
And it sucks you cannot buy Chevron here in OK, but you can buy the additive. Most other "injector cleaners" are highly refined kerosene.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:54 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

after a year of running upper cylinder lube, I seafoamed, and there was no white smoke billows. It sucked because i thought i wasted my money on seafoam.

I use upper cylinder lube not for injectors or gas mileage, but to actually lube my upper cylinders.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:16 PM
97ramlv
Rookie

Yes the engine restore killed my dodge neon motor. i have been using the tranny additive from lucas forr about a year and no problem. i use the fuel injector cleaner,oil additive, rear end additive and no problem at all it helped the tranny shift better too. I also heve the purple ice from royal purple in my radiator.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:02 PM
charlie1935
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BIGBIRD85
i went and did a search for this oil filter and found out that most places use this filter on 318 motors from 1959 to 1974.
a 318 is a 318?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WI...e%7c5.2L%2f318
It was used on all mopars and fords also.

Quick Reply: lucas products