2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake and ABS light came on!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 10:50 PM
Ram_King
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brake and ABS light came on!

i was told the main reason the abs lights come on our because of a bad speed sensor? would that also affect my speedo being off 5 mph? and if i do replace it will it fix the speedo problem or will i have to get a different gear for the cable?

Old 01-10-2011, 10:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

On your 97, the speed sensor is in the back of the Transfer case, the abs sensor is on top of the rear axle.

Speedometer error is usually caused by having non-stock sized tires on the truck. Check your door sticker, see what IT says should be on the truck, then check your tires, and see what size actually ARE on the truck. Do they match?

Old 01-10-2011, 11:11 PM
matty675
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the speed sensor is in the t-case, but i beleive the lights indicate a bad RWAL sesnor in the rear diff.

you dont have a speedo cable. only varibale w/ speedometer reading is tire size and gear ratio. do you know the specs on either? compare them to stock specs. you can buy a different VSS gear to compensate for change in either.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:21 AM
Ram_King
Professional

Originally Posted by matty675
the speed sensor is in the t-case, but i beleive the lights indicate a bad RWAL sesnor in the rear diff.

you dont have a speedo cable. only varibale w/ speedometer reading is tire size and gear ratio. do you know the specs on either? compare them to stock specs. you can buy a different VSS gear to compensate for change in either.
tires are 265 75 16, and my gear ratio is 3:55

Old 01-11-2011, 11:22 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Probably came stock with 245s? That would account for your speedo error.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:55 PM
Ram_King
Professional

it actually calls for 225's. is there anyone of fixing it? other than putting stock size on it

Old 01-11-2011, 06:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Check and see if you have a VSS in the output housing of the t-case. If you do, you can get a different gear for it, to correct the error. If you don't.... reprogramming is the only way.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:39 PM
dipsherry
Record Breaker

ok not sure but the other night on my truck i was taking some backroads back from my favorite adult establishment. and it had been snowing i went to turn and got on the breaks VERY hard to slow the truck before the ditch well... i managed to slow down enough but i still went to the ditch lol... well this story was to tell you that my abs and emergency brake light were on...i just got my truck out and drove home and the next morning i checked my fuse. it was blown put new fuse in both lights went off

Old 01-11-2011, 11:30 PM
matty675
Record Breaker

'97 will have a VSS, something like a 30 tooth gear should correct the speedo

Old 01-12-2011, 12:49 AM
chromed95
Captain

Originally Posted by dipsherry
ok not sure but the other night on my truck i was taking some backroads back from my favorite adult establishment. and it had been snowing i went to turn and got on the breaks VERY hard to slow the truck before the ditch well... i managed to slow down enough but i still went to the ditch lol... well this story was to tell you that my abs and emergency brake light were on...i just got my truck out and drove home and the next morning i checked my fuse. it was blown put new fuse in both lights went off
+1 on the fuse, that's most likely your problem Ram King. I had those same lights come on after i hooked up to a trailer that had been wired wrong and it blew me fuse for those lights. Its the same fuse for both. Check it, and replace if bad.

Quick Reply: Brake and ABS light came on!