2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

bad timing issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 09:58 AM
boostednut
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry bad timing issues

I have a 98 ram 4x4 w/360 5.9 magnum. I just replaced the motor and having serious problems with the timing. At first put the motor together as supposed to with the timing marks facing esch other. Cam at 6 crank at 12. it wouldn't fire off till I turned the dist. to the #6 wire then started and ran great. Problem is the timing wouldn't advance as said by master mech. at dodge dealer. He said to rotate the motor to tdc then put dist back in and try that same thing happened only firing at #6. So then he said my cam was 180 out. So I turned it to the 12 position, put everything back together and of coarse nothing. I am at a lose here and need some serious help here.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:04 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

pull the timing cover, pull the distributor, pull the drivers side valve cover.... Reset your timing chain with the marks facing each other. (the way you did it the first time.) Verify that both valves on number one are closed, and the piston is at top dead center.

on the engine, don't recall if it was on the intake manifold, or the block.... there is a little 'nub' sticking up near the distributor. make sure that when the dist if fully seated, the rotor is pointed DIRECTLY at it. There is a pic of the process drifting about here somewhere..... see if you can come up with it in a search, if it isn't apparent by just looking at the engine. (Yeah, the dist is at the back, makes life REAL fun.)

Then just set up your plug wires, reassemble everything, and fire the engine. Should start and run.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:32 AM
boostednut
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the insite. I'll give it a try and let you know what the outcome is. But mark sure I'm right there is a mark on the manifold that the rotor should be pointed at?

Old 01-15-2011, 11:34 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

it may be on the block, not sure...... but, being as everything is fresh, and clean, should be easy to spot.

Quick Reply: bad timing issues