2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Performance Upgrade Questions???

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 11:39 AM
01sportoffroad
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Upgrade Questions???

Hey everyone, so i've decided this year is going to be the year for doing some more upgrades to my truck finally. I want to be able to get some peformance gains, and hopefully be able to slighly increase my fuel economy. I have an 01 1500 sport offroad with the 5.9 4x4 factory 4.10 gears and the 46re tranny. First upgrade im planning on is an APS Transmission hopefully this spring as my transmission is starting to get tired. I heard that their transmissions make the truck feel quite different. After that upgrade though i want to focus on the engine. I know that i need to do something about my plenumn gasket as it is starting to show signs of a little oil getting into the bottom of the intake.

I would really like to get an FI Airgap intake from hughes, however i was wondering what people are getting for performance gains and is this actually helping increase MPG???? I know that you have to be able to keep your foot out of it, but has anyone noticed a difference? Also i want to switch to a mopar performance intake probably with a k&n air filter. Does this fit with the air gap intake?

Last few questions. Sorry to make this lenghty. Anyone have any luck with fastman throttle bodies? Im guessing all these upgrades together might make a difference, but I'm curious what people are seeing for gains i guess. I was also planning on sct tunner and possibly installing headers. I already have a magnaflow high flow cat and glasspack with duals.

What am i going to benefit from the most if i ad headers and what is my best option for them? Any help with any of these questions would be greatly apreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Fix the plenum first. Get everything up to snuff before you start adding things for performance.

That said, the SCT has been elected as the "most bang for the buck" mod here.

before you decide on an intake manifold, have a look at the video in This Thread. Good illustration of the differences between a single plane manifold (in your case, the M1) and a dual plane. (the hughes air gap)

Other mods compliment each other. Getting more air in/out increases performance. The idea is, decide what you want as a goal, and do upgrades with that in mind. Decide what YOU want from your truck, and that will help you decide which parts you need to buy.

Quick Reply: Performance Upgrade Questions???