2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Vibrates/Shakes at high speeds, pull over, goes away.... ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 02:25 PM
DodgerRabbit
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I,ve also got the dreaded death wobble. i,ve read that the problem most likely the track bar and tie rod/ends. I,ve also read that the Thuren track bar is a good replacement. but seeing as i have to replace the tie rod/ends also.. should i go with the lukes links for both the track bar and the tie rods? has anybody had any experience with these? I dont believe my truck is lifted at all. my truck shook so bad that it busted one of the rear leaf spring shackles and i nearly gave a buddy a heart attack, lol.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

If you broke a leaf spring shackle, you have something else going on there as well. I would be taking a long hard look at all the rear suspension parts, especially tires and wheels. (including balance)

There was another thread not so very long ago about lukes links.... don't recall what the consensus was on them.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:40 PM
DodgerRabbit

Well, jsu to be clear, the shackle didnt actually break during one of these "episodes", but im thinking all that shaking up front couldnt have been good for that shackle.. maybe weakening it? Also, does anyone have contact info for Thurenfab? their website doesnt give any contact info for some reason....

Last edited by DodgerRabbit; 02-12-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:09 PM
wilfite
Rookie

I had a Jeep Cherokee that did this, we called it "Death Wobble" (shouldn't there be theme music when you say that?). It was caused by front-end being out of alignment and/or loose front-end components and/or mis-matched wear on the front tires. It would behave in a very similar manner, never under 30-40 mph and took a small bump on the road to get started. Basically, once the front end wobbled and whatever the harmonic frequency was it would keep wobbling and continue to get worse until I could slow down considerably. If I was going 70+ I would have to actually stop the jeep before the vibration would stop. Check your track bar, tie-rods, tires and alignment.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:44 PM
DodgerRabbit

Thuren track bar or luke's links? if you have a preference, lemme know why. cmon guys, dont make me start a new thread.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

350 bucks for a track bar???? Ouchie. How long do you plan on keeping the truck?

Luke's link for 70? (or, around thereabouts anyway...) Wanna play guinea pig? Check it out, tell US what you think?

Old 02-13-2011, 08:44 PM
DodgerRabbit

yea, from what ive read, it doesnt make sense to go with a stock replacement cuz it'll happen again. im trying to make sure it never happens again. but i have to change the tie rod ends too so that IS gonna be expensive if i buy those AND a thuren. so, yea i was thinking luke's for all but i need some feedback from anybody who has tried either/or. P.S. my truck is a 95 w/ 120k so i'd like to keep it for awhile

Old 02-14-2011, 04:49 PM
DodgerRabbit

seems i need to start a new thread, shouldnt've hijacked this one anyway. sorry boboraz

Quick Reply: Vibrates/Shakes at high speeds, pull over, goes away.... ???