2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Vibrates/Shakes at high speeds, pull over, goes away.... ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 12:47 AM
bobboraze
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibrates/Shakes at high speeds, pull over, goes away.... ???

So confused... my truck has been doing this for a little while now. Around town just fine, when I get up to speed on the highway, after about 5 minutes it begins to vibrate/shake throughout the entire body, progressively getting more violent.

Now I've searched through the internet quite a bit and have some theories, I've read of death wobble, etc, yet the kicker is that if I pull to the side of the road and then continue, it won't do it again for the rest of the trip.... if it was something more simple I would assume the symptom would reproduce itself every single time...

Any help/thoughts in the matter would be MUCH appreciated.

99 Ram Sport 4x4
Everything Stock, 68k miles

Last edited by bobboraze; 01-17-2011 at 12:50 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:33 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Check ALL of your front end components for wear. Pay special attention to the track bar.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:40 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Could be something as simple as an out of balance driveshaft.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:23 AM
bobboraze
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Check ALL of your front end components for wear. Pay special attention to the track bar.
Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Could be something as simple as an out of balance driveshaft.
Yet wouldn't both of these issues reproduce themselves over and over if it's causing issues at high speeds? Or not necessarily...

The shaking only occurs once in the initial 5 minutes of highway speeds and never again.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:38 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do the vibrations appear at a specific speed? "Highway speeds" is rather vague. What happens if you accelerate to the speed where the vibration occurs, then 20mph over, and then slowing down to the vibration speed? Do the symptoms re-appear consistently at the same speed?

Old 01-17-2011, 11:39 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

to me it def. sounds like a trac bar issue

Old 01-17-2011, 11:56 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Front suspension can be funny.... conditions need to be 'just right' for any particular symptom to appear. Have a look at the parts. See what it needs. Take it from there.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:11 PM
tatitup8
Veteran

mines doin that too, i took it in and they said my idler arm and pitman arm are loose and i need to replace them all as well as the wheel bearings, i just replaced all 4 balljoints too

Old 01-17-2011, 12:20 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Questions:

1. Does this do it ACCELERATING to HWY speeds then stops when you have momentum?
--If so, check the Ujoints
2. Same as #1, but you also have lift blocks in the back. If you have stacked blocks in the rear, your U-bolt is probably loose and you need to hit it with FIRE and retorque. UNTIL YOU CAN GET AN AAL kit and STOP the stacked blocks. THe vibration is your rearend moving around!
3. Check your ball joints.

You need to check all these with your wheels off the ground (Front wheels when checking front, and rear when checking rear).

Let us know what you find out after you get your truck on a lift or jack it up.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:23 PM
bobboraze
Rookie

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Do the vibrations appear at a specific speed? "Highway speeds" is rather vague. What happens if you accelerate to the speed where the vibration occurs, then 20mph over, and then slowing down to the vibration speed? Do the symptoms re-appear consistently at the same speed?
I apologize I was quite vague.

As soon as I enter a highway I average roughly 65 mph, after about 5 minutes or so the shaking will commence. If I speed up or slow down. +- 15mph lets say, the shaking continues regardless. There is no set speed range in which it shakes aside from 50+ mph. Once it begins, it continues to shake and progressively becomes more violent even as the speed is held constant. As I pull over it shakes all the way to the stop. Continuing again, the shaking doesn't reappear....

I'm not too familiar with suspension components yet I have to stop at the shop later so I'll have them take a good look.

Originally Posted by CPTAFW163
Questions:
1. Does this do it ACCELERATING to HWY speeds then stops when you have momentum?
--If so, check the Ujoints
2. Same as #1, but you also have lift blocks in the back. If you have stacked blocks in the rear, your U-bolt is probably loose and you need to hit it with FIRE and retorque. UNTIL YOU CAN GET AN AAL kit and STOP the stacked blocks. THe vibration is your rearend moving around!
3. Check your ball joints.
It does not do it accelerating to speed, it does it some time after momentum is achieved. I will definitely check U/Ball Joints regardless.

Last edited by bobboraze; 01-17-2011 at 12:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Vibrates/Shakes at high speeds, pull over, goes away.... ???