2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tire Rotation, front very difficult to turn.... thoughts/help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 09:20 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks, too bad Russel doesn't make them for my year.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,387 Likes on 3,127 Posts

Give these guys a shout.

May also want to have a chat with Summit Racing, or Jegs, or any of the other larger auto parts retailers. I couldn't find anything on summits site.... but, that doesn't necessarily mean they don't sell 'em.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:44 AM
rond97sport
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my front brakes had the opposite problem they didnt work .my calipers were seized solid from the good old newengland salty roads.they work fine now after replacing both calipers rotors and lines and pads .the master is next why not right everything else is new.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:28 PM
Road Hammer
Professional

Originally Posted by bobboraze
Hmm I'll definitely check for the dust, as well I'm going to see if they get crazy hot after driving. Though the vehicle doesn't pull to one side or the other, and the brakes seem to react just fine after releasing them... though either way, I know the wheels are hard to turn so I'd expect all the symptoms of the pads constantly brushing the rotors.

and ha yea I've done my share of oil changes, no biggie, I just don't have access to a garage at the moment and I'm leaving town tonight. Though thanks for the link!

Makes perfect sense. I'm going to check exactly that. (though it's odd that it's identical on both sides... hope it's not the master cylinder in some way)
If your master cylinder has had the fluid "topped up" recently, it may be over filled, not allowing room for the displaced brake fluid to return, keeping some pressure on the calipers. Had this happen on my buddies motorcycle after a brake job at the bike shop. Just an idea and easy to check! Good luck!

Old 01-19-2011, 01:46 PM
candymancan
Veteran

You guys do know that the brake pads are suppose to touch the rotars very slightly or barely make contact right ? If there is a big gap between them and the rotor you may think thats normal but it isnt.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:17 PM
bobboraze
Rookie

Originally Posted by Road Hammer
If your master cylinder has had the fluid "topped up" recently, it may be over filled, not allowing room for the displaced brake fluid to return, keeping some pressure on the calipers. Had this happen on my buddies motorcycle after a brake job at the bike shop. Just an idea and easy to check! Good luck!
Will definitely give a check.

Originally Posted by candymancan
You guys do know that the brake pads are suppose to touch the rotars very slightly or barely make contact right ? If there is a big gap between them and the rotor you may think thats normal but it isnt.
I was unaware of this.

Essentially the main thing that would cause a wheel not to spin freely would be something brake related. The pad is somehow gripping the rotors. Correct?

Old 01-19-2011, 03:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,387 Likes on 3,127 Posts

Yep. When you jack up your truck, if everything is working correctly, you should be able to spin the tire easily. The pads will be resting on the rotor, but, there won't be (shouldn't be.....) any pressure holding them in place. If you can take off your lug nuts with the tire off the ground with a breaker bar, something is wrong.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:13 PM
Tinson

Im sorry for the off topic post but Cptafw where did you get that air filter and valve covers, i love the way that looks. I realize you could probably get them from the mopar performance website but i was wondering if anyone else might sell them a little cheaper.

as far as brakes go i'd get a friend or someone and jack up the front end and spin the rotors and have them hit the brakes while you watch just to see if the pads are not releasing or if it is something else. might give these guys a better idea of what exactly is going on. because it could be in the axle itself gets heat from going down the road and when you stop it cools down just enough to start running right. I'm not the most best person when it comes to cars but it could be a possibility.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:54 PM
tj941500
Rookie

i had a similar issue,,, it turned out to be the rubber lines that went from the metal line to the caliber....

Old 01-20-2011, 02:47 AM
John D in CT
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I was trying to break my lugs nuts loose.... using a socket/breaker bar. I was leaning quite heavily on the breaker bar when the socket blew apart. I THUMPED my head on the truck fender hard enough to leave a dent .......
A dent on the ~fender~, I hope?

Reminds me of the little joke about the mechanic working with his helper on big ol' stuck brake drum, and says to him "OK, when I nod my head, you hit it real hard". His helper says, "Uh, all right, if you say so ..."

I love that one.

Quick Reply: Tire Rotation, front very difficult to turn.... thoughts/help?