2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Coolant overflow reasons?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 09:35 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i bought 2 dorman heater hose splice tubes and placed one in each hose, about midway to the core in a convenient spot. it doesn't have the cute little T, but it allows me to easily separate the lines and backflush the core, or fill the lines. i didn't want to risk breaking the heater core tubes by yanking on the hoses.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...i_sku=17190322

Old 01-20-2011, 11:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
I've been thinking of doing something like that, perhaps one in each heater hose with shut-off valves between them and the water pump to make heater core flushing simpler. With that setup and a low pressure fluid pump it should be a simple matter to flush and burp the heater core without any additional hoop jumping. Not that the setup wouldn't be its own bit of hoop jumping...
That was a solution I gave serious thought to as well.......... would certainly make the job MUCH easier, and less messy......

Old 01-28-2011, 11:18 AM
lukeca
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well just to close up this thread if someone else searches, I never got around to doing the burp, but the next day it spewed coolant again, and then it never did it again, and my heat works much better now. So it was just an air pocket and the truck fixed itself I guess, I'll take it!

Old 01-28-2011, 11:57 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Check the coolant level now though, and make sure it's topped off.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:31 PM
candymancan
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Btw i must say thats a nice looking truck in your signature. Is this the one were talking about ?

Old 01-28-2011, 11:32 PM
bekins01ram
Veteran

probably a stupid question, but my heat isn't nearly like it was last year, and i've replaced thermostat twice during the summer, so probably didn't burp it properly...could that be the reason my heat sucks, and when i start driving in the morning, it sounds like a waterfall is rushing thru the engine compartment?? Almost sounds like its in the cab, its so loud.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by bekins01ram
probably a stupid question, but my heat isn't nearly like it was last year, and i've replaced thermostat twice during the summer, so probably didn't burp it properly...could that be the reason my heat sucks, and when i start driving in the morning, it sounds like a waterfall is rushing thru the engine compartment?? Almost sounds like its in the cab, its so loud.
Yep. Need to get the air out of the heater core.

Method one:

Park the truck at as extreme an angle as your sphincter will tolerate, with the passenger front as high as possible. Run the engine with the radiator cap removed. Let the thermostat cycle a couple times, adding coolant as required.

Method two:

Separate the heater inlet hose at the splice by the passenger side valve cover. (I have no idea why that is there.....) Clamp off the engine side of the hose first.

Remove the return line from the metal pipe that goes to the water pump. Plug the metal pipe. (I used a small cork.) Starting with reverse flow, (water goes in the hose that hooked to the water pump) flush the heater core in both directions, as many times as it takes to get clean water out the other side. Finish with reverse flow.

Reconnect the hoses, taking care to lose as little as possible out of the heater core, and lines. (having a spare set of hands makes this part easier.)

Burp the system normally, and top off with pure coolant. (as there is only water in the heater core at this point.) Make sure coolant protects you to the appropriate temp for your climate.

Put the cap back on, close the hood, and enjoy a real heater again.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:49 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What HeyYou said.

Originally Posted by bekins01ram
Almost sounds like its in the cab, its so loud.
It is in the cab, right behind the glove compartment.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:17 AM
bekins01ram
Veteran

alright. Thx for the proper way to do it. My buddy that helped with water pump replacement/ thermostat replacements, never mentioned the truck had to be angled when i was letting it run with cap off for half hour or so. It burped for a while, but I was parked level when I did it. Wife just bought a used 2000 intrepid, so I'm going to do an inspection on the engine and stuff tomorrow, so figured while I'm all good n greasy from that, I may as well fix my heat. I was really hoping it'd be something simple. Thx for the instructions. Hope to have my heat back soon, cause it's been fricken cold in nebraska lately, and I'm tired of driving with ma gloves on like an old woman or something. LOL

Old 01-31-2011, 07:31 PM
lukeca
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by candymancan
Btw i must say thats a nice looking truck in your signature. Is this the one were talking about ?
Yep that's the one

Quick Reply: Coolant overflow reasons?