2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 v8 cylinder 3 misfire

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 02:35 PM
snunicycler
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 v8 cylinder 3 misfire

I've changed the spark plus, spark plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor. I still have a very low idle and I still have the CEL on. The weird thing is that sometimes the light turns off for a day or 2. Any ideas what the cause could be?

Old 01-30-2011, 02:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Possible injector.... try swapping it with the number one injector, see if the problem follows the injector. If it doesn't, verify the connector is good. Beyond that, check compression.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:56 PM
snunicycler
Rookie

Great! Thanks for the advice. How difficult is that? I like doing my own repairs but my expedite so far is a bit limited.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

The injectors really like where they are at..... and are very reluctant to leave..... Aside from that, not a problem.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:02 AM
snunicycler
Rookie

i ended up just taking it to a garage this morning. turns out the spark plug i just replaced 2 weeks ago is now corroded and covered in white. they think it could be a leaking head gasket. does that sound like the problem? he wants 800 to replace 1 side. does that sound right or am i getting shafted?
thanks

Old 01-31-2011, 10:40 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Has the plenum been fixed? Might just be ash deposits from burning oil sucked in by a blow plenum.

Are you losing coolant?

Does you exhaust stink REALLY bad, make your eyes water? Irritate you sinus passages?

Old 01-31-2011, 10:42 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Has the plenum been fixed? Might just be ash deposits from burning oil sucked in by a blow plenum.

Are you losing coolant?

Does you exhaust stink REALLY bad, make your eyes water? Irritate you sinus passages?
Does it burn when you urinate? Did you know that a person can't have *too much* Life Insurance? Have you considered becoming an organ donor?

Have you heard about the word of gawd?

Old 01-31-2011, 11:23 AM
snunicycler
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou

Are you losing coolant?

1) i've never heard of a plenum. haha, so i dont know. the mechanic had it apart so i assume he would have checked that but... idk.
2)yes i am slowly losing coolant, i hadn't checked the coolant level before because i JUST replaced the water pump a month ago so i never even looked.
3) i can't smell a thing (you know how you are supposed to waft instead of inhaling in chemistry classes? i forgot to and just inhaled a ton of something and havent been able to smell a whole lot since hahaha) i havent noticed much of a smell and the mechanic didnt mention anything, neither has anyone else that has been in truck. no watery eyes or sinus pain or any thing like that.

EDIT: i should clarify, i said the mechanic had it apart, but i just meant he was under the hood and had checked some of the components to eliminate the obvious stuff. but he has not actually opened up the engine yet. he said that would take a while and i'd have to leave it for a couple of days to get it diagnosed and then fixed. right now the head gasket is still just an educated guess.

Last edited by snunicycler; 01-31-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

have a look down your throttle body, see any oil? That would cause the problem. And is a LOT cheaper than yanking heads.

How old is your PCV valve? And if recently replaced, where did you get it?

If you were burning coolant, you would more than likely be able to smell it in the exhaust, and someone would prolly comment.....

I have had a case of "Mystery Coolant Loss" as well, turned out to be a freeze plug..... just didn't leak noticeably until it started leaving puddles in the drive..... then it was easy to find.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:00 PM
Mad_Scientist
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Does it burn when you urinate? Did you know that a person can't have *too much* Life Insurance? Have you considered becoming an organ donor?

Have you heard about the word of gawd?
LOLLOLOLOLOLOL I always seem to laugh at your comments vw, that one was truly award worthy though.

Quick Reply: 96 v8 cylinder 3 misfire