2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Budget E-fan setup, will it work?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 10:49 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tweeker909
Thats another mod i like to do, underdrive. Cheap ($35)and i know they work. So not a good idea to do both?

underdrive pully slows down your alts, with a fan, head light on....ect you will have to many things pulling power and your volts will fall at idle

you can run both with a fan that has a low amp draw

i will not, i would hate to get in a traffic jam with the underdrive pully, and the a/c blower on, it could run your battery down

Old 01-24-2011, 10:53 PM
tweeker909
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think i will do both. THX for the feedback. For the money what was the best in terms of HP gains?

Old 01-24-2011, 11:22 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you get an underdrive pulley set that includes a smaller alternator pulley that will restore full speed to the alternator, you won't have to worry about not charging at idle. The hard part is knowing if the set you buy actually restores the alternator to full speed, as I've seen some (for other vehicles) that don't.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:40 PM
dodgeram07
Champion

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
If you get an underdrive pulley set that includes a smaller alternator pulley that will restore full speed to the alternator, you won't have to worry about not charging at idle. The hard part is knowing if the set you buy actually restores the alternator to full speed, as I've seen some (for other vehicles) that don't.
see thats the thing no one makes a smaller alt pully with 7 ribs for these alts

i think the underdrive pully had bigger gains than the efan,,,, RM indy has the info on that sum were

but if you think the clutch fan is only to work at lower speeds no all the time, but you are still moving it at higher speeds also, but no neary the same drag at idle/off the line

any ways, dont think that you can just put a efan or pullys on and turn that truck into a race car.... you may only pick a few 10th's in the 1/4..(not trying to sound like a dick) just the facts

Old 01-25-2011, 12:16 AM
smcandrew08
Professional

I dont mean to change the subject from the previous question but does anyone know which mod gives you better mpg gains underdrive pully or elec fan set up?

Old 01-25-2011, 01:43 AM
97ramlv
Rookie

DO NOT buy the tornado and the electric turbocharger it is JUNK i tried both in my ram and dakota no difference proven nonthing.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:37 AM
tweeker909
Professional

Originally Posted by dodgeram07
see thats the thing no one makes a smaller alt pully with 7 ribs for these alts

i think the underdrive pully had bigger gains than the efan,,,, RM indy has the info on that sum were

but if you think the clutch fan is only to work at lower speeds no all the time, but you are still moving it at higher speeds also, but no neary the same drag at idle/off the line

any ways, dont think that you can just put a efan or pullys on and turn that truck into a race car.... you may only pick a few 10th's in the 1/4..(not trying to sound like a dick) just the facts
Great stuff there thx. The mind is made up and a crank underdrive with a new belt it is. Few tenths here, few there it all starts to ad up. Should be nice little motor when complete.

Lets see you all's E-fan set-up.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:56 AM
Joey Buentello
Veteran

I rebuilt my 318 and an upgraded cooling system was part of the build. 2 procomp e-fans and a new aluminum fan shroud. But my truck was still running at 230ish, and i was pissed to say the least.So i bought a new radiator and there was the problem 200 degrees all day in south Texas, even while towing.So if cooler temps are what you want i think a rad flush would be a good idea.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:14 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion

I cringe when my motor gets anywhere close to 200 on the guage, I will start messing with **** and possibly pull over if it goes above it.....the only 2 times it has been over 200 was at the dragstrip, and when I was at work left a/c on full blast and it idleing for close to an hour.

But I have been looking at doing a E-fan setup and found you can get some fans for cheap on ebay.

Not to thread jack but is it possible to fit 2 16's or a 16 and a 14 in the stock shroud space, I plan on getting a sheet of aluminum to mount the fans to, instead of the radiator, and also say one fan pushes 2150cfm would that keep the motor cool enough if the other one went out

Old 01-26-2011, 03:22 PM
TheBigRedOne

Originally Posted by 97ramlv
DO NOT buy the tornado and the electric turbocharger it is JUNK i tried both in my ram and dakota no difference proven nonthing.
But its proven, just like efans. Right?

Quick Reply: Budget E-fan setup, will it work?