2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Magnetic Wrap for oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005 | 12:01 PM
zeekxxx
|
Captain
Default Magnetic Wrap for oil filter

I have been doing some research on this and it made me go out and buy 2 of them for my truck and my wifes car. This is a super strong rare earth set of magnets that wrap around your oil filter to capture small metal parts. This is what started my research. After doing a trans flush and pulling off my trans pan I saw the mag at the bottom of the pan. When I went to reach for it the damn thing was only half its size after I cleaned off all the metal particles stuck to it. OMG! So i started wondering why this is not done for cars in the oil pan. Well the answer is...... Because the engine would last too long and you wont buy a new car or get a repair. Thus the auto makers lose money. Well.... It seems one automaker (found on google) I forget who did this in the 70's and they found out that the car lasted too long and they were losing money. So I took the plunge and bought 2 . See link below if you have intrest. After I get them Ill throw them on the filter. Im due for an oil change next month so my oil should be nice and dirty. Ill then cut the sucker open and post up the pictures.

So... What do you guys think about this? Anybody do this?

Here is what I bought with the links to follow being some pages I found on this. One of them from car craft.

http://www.filtermag.com/?app=Automo...12&storedimg=1

http://www.filtermag.com/carcraft.pdf

https://www.expeditionexchange.com/filtermag/

Old 06-18-2005 | 06:48 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Default RE: Magnetic Wrap for oil filter

I have heard of this and forgot all about it. the mag thing makes total sense. my big worry would be loosing it on the road or trail during the back country excursions... how does it stay on the filter? do you think it would come off easily when your 4x4ing?

Old 06-18-2005 | 09:22 PM
zeekxxx
|
Captain

From a review I saw the thing can not be pull straight back once it is attached to the steel filter you have to slide the hell out of it downwards to remove it. The same mags that pull the crap out of the oil also hold to filter. So I assume that it wont come off unless I some how loose my oil filter or engine block. That fact and I also bought the heavy duty one. It is stronger. Ill have more info on this topic when they come in the mail. Oh yeah they give 30% discount to all military people. So find one and let him make the order.

some more blah blah stuff.......

In order for FilterMAGâ„¢ to remove minute steel particles from the oil system, its magnets must have enough energy to hold incredibly fine particles against the velocity of the oil flow. FilterMAGâ„¢'s patented design employs a focused magnetic force field, that amplifies its incredibly powerful Neodymium magnets, to generate the immense force needed to forcibly remove tiny particles below 20-micron from the oil flow; and retain increasingly smaller particles -- as small as 2-microns -- against the pressure of oil flow velocity.

FilterMAGâ„¢'s patented magnetic flux amplifier technology redirects the magnetic energy normally present on the far side of the magnet towards the inside of the filter canister. The flux amplifier has to be of a precise thickness to maximise the magnetic field. The circumference is adjusted to allow for manufacturing variances to result in a precise fit & alignment of the series of magnets to the filter canister. This focuses the maximum amount of magnetic energy within the oil flow. The successful and proven result is a masterpiece of automotive engineering.

In real life, FilterMAG™ works by simply placing it onto the outside of the filter housing where the magnetic force automatically snaps it into place. The ultra strong magnetic force starts to work — forcibly trapping unwanted particles "locked" against the inside walls of your traditional filter.

Old 06-20-2005 | 12:46 AM
cableguy
Professional

Is there any chance that this could interfere with the computer? Otherwise, it sounds like a good idea.

Old 06-20-2005 | 01:40 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

No, no chance of computer interference

Old 06-20-2005 | 02:04 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

I have also wondered about this. After you try it out, I would be curious to see what it looks like when you cut it open. I have also wondered about the aluminum sleeves they make for oil filters. It has thin fins that are supposed to dissipate heat from your oil, reducing oil temps as it goes through the filter.

Old 06-20-2005 | 02:19 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

I don't think the oil filet cooling fins would work well on the mag motor... the e-manifolds are right next to the filter and it might act as a heat sink in the wrong direction. If anything, there should be a heat shield on the e-manifold to keep the heat off the filter. Plus, I'm not sure how hot the oil would get on a daily driver... they are for the most part low rpm motors and dont generate that much heat to justify an oil cooler (my opinion) Unless it's forced induction or on the track, it might be money not well spent... my .02 cents worth...

Old 06-20-2005 | 04:45 PM
jrmcx
Rookie

They used to make oil pan plugs with magnets on them. Haven't seen on in a while.

Old 06-22-2005 | 09:11 PM
zeekxxx
|
Captain

I just got mine for my dodge today. I ordered it from canada. Im going to post a picture and make a new topic if anyone wants to buy one. It was not easy to track these down.

Old 06-22-2005 | 09:52 PM
zeekxxx
|
Captain

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

I have also wondered about this. After you try it out, I would be curious to see what it looks like when you cut it open. I have also wondered about the aluminum sleeves they make for oil filters. It has thin fins that are supposed to dissipate heat from your oil, reducing oil temps as it goes through the filter.
When I rebuilt an engine many many years ago in the automotive school I went to I remember the shop teacher telling us the valves get up to a few thousand degrees. Not sure if I am remembering this right but anyhow... lets just say the oil in your block is running over some really hot areas. When it comes to the fins that snap on to the oil filter they might knock it down a degree or two but as soon as it goes back in the block you'll lose that tiny amount of cooling you just made. The only way to drop your oil temp is a high grade oil cooler. There is just not enough surface area to cool the oil to any great sucess on the oil filter. Now if you super cooled the oil filter with liqiud nitrogen or perhaps are driving in a lake with your oil filter submerged you could most likely do something there.

Quick Reply: Magnetic Wrap for oil filter