2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Few ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 09:25 PM
Flipzslick
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few ??

Ok I've got a few things to ask,

1) is there any way of finding out what gears are in my truck, the covers/tags have been removed at one point. So I don't know if there still stock.

2) has anyone tried a throttle body spacer? If so is it worth it?

3) cold air intake or 14x3?

4) how many o2 sensors are on a 95 5.2?
My cat has been removed, and I want to put it back on but, I don't know where the o2's where at.

Thank you guys for any help.
O and if you guys know of any
Other budget friendly mods pls lmk. Thanks again.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Pull the covers. Usually scribed into the ring gear. You can also scope them out, and see if you have some flavor of LSD/Locker in there. (and, it wouldn't hurt to change the fluid......)

TB spacer does absolutely nothing on these trucks, waste of time and money.

CAI.

For federal emissions, just one, right in front of the cat. (or, mounted to the front of the cat....) for cali, there might be two. Not sure.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:48 AM
smcandrew08
Professional

tb spacer doesnt do anything for the truck but i know for my intake i had to have one to clear the lines on the tb. I am just saying, make sure when you buy an intake you make sure you pay attention to that. There was some ppl on here who had cai on their trucks and they couldnt get wot because the intake was sitting too low on the tb. If you look in the FAQ section there is a debate over what intake is the best thats a pretty good place to make your opinion.

If you dont want to take the covers off the gears you can
1. crank the truck and shift to 4wd. ease it around until the 4wd light comes on. block the wheels, leave it in neutral, and shut off the engine.
2. assuming an open differential, jack up one side. mark the 6 o'clock position on the tire and the drive shaft with a piece of tape.
3. with an assistant, rotate the jacked up tire exactly 2 revolutions and count the revolutions of the drive shaft. it will be a number like 3.55 or 3.92 or 4.11 or 4.56 or 4.88 that's your gear ratio.
the 2 revolutions is because of the turning of the spider gears.
leave one tire on the ground or you get inconsistent results with the spider gear motions.

if you have a locking mechanism and one tire won't turn with the other on the ground, then jack up both and turn the tire 1 revolution.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:27 AM
Flipzslick
Rookie

Ok thanks alot guys!

Old 01-25-2011, 09:23 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I prefer 14x3 over CAI for a lot of reasons. Search for threads by me and you will see why. If you like to play in the mud or water though, the the only answer is CAI or stock setup.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:23 AM
Flipzslick
Rookie

Is it worth it to rip out all of the crappy brittle vac lines and replace them with rubber ones? Has anyone done it?

Old 01-26-2011, 11:04 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Sure wouldn't hurt. Be careful of routing though.... Don't wanna put 'em places where they are going to be exposed to high heat, and such like.