2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transfer Case questions and t-Case saver

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 08:40 PM
Hostilian
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer Case questions and t-Case saver

So I changed the oil in my T-case the other day and noticed it was leaking around the shaft going to the rear axle and around the front where it connects to the tranny. I got the seals in today and pulled the t-case (Thanks to Sheriff420's DIY) (Thank you sir). While I had the t-case out i noticed that the thing was filthy dirty all over, almost like the silicone gasket in the middle of the cases is leaking as well. I was wondering how hard is it to split the cases on this thing. The service manual didnt make it out to be very hard. Remove the tail housing, take out the bolts holding it together, then split the cases. Is it really that easy? I searched the forums and couldnt find a DIY or anything thing on it. Also the T-case saver, how hard would it be to make one? Me and my father have our own machine shop (laths and milling machines) and all it looks like is pretty much a lock collar fitting around the rear output shaft. Anyone tired to make one before?

Old 01-26-2011, 10:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Yes, it is indeed that easy.

T-case saver also has a 'lip' that seats into the grove on the shaft. It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to make one, since you have the proper equipment.....

Old 01-26-2011, 11:03 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand why most people wouldn't want to but when I put a new snap ring on mine I simply tack welded it in place.

Quick Reply: Transfer Case questions and t-Case saver