2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

new vacuum 4x4 question

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011 | 08:40 PM
yellowtruck
|
Rookie
Default new vacuum 4x4 question

I was plowing snow last night and when i am in a driveway plowing the 4wd is fine. but when i am driving down the road between driveways doing about 20mph or more the 4wd light flickers and I go in and out of 4wd. I have replaced the shift motor on front axle,the switch on the transfer case, both vacuum lines from axle to transfer case. Any ideas where to look next? I see a ton of posts about people stepping on gas and heat goes from vent to defrost but i havent found anything that says when they are driving they go in and out of 4wd. Any help would be great!

Old 01-27-2011 | 09:12 PM
DukesOfHazzard
Record Breaker

????????????????????? im highly thinking this for myself give it a looksee http://www.emsoffroad.com/store/inde...roducts_id=351

Old 01-27-2011 | 11:16 PM
Mad_Scientist
Captain

Originally Posted by DukesOfHazzard
????????????????????? im highly thinking this for myself give it a looksee http://www.emsoffroad.com/store/inde...roducts_id=351
I'd rather get a posi-locker (or whatever that cable engagment system is called) than to have everything in the front pumpkin turning all the time. You'd probably see a slight dip in gas milage, and your gears would likely wear out sooner

Old 01-27-2011 | 11:20 PM
Mad_Scientist
Captain

As for the op's problem: does it feel like the truck is actually going in and out of 4x4? Or is it possible that the light is just flickering? Reason i ask is, it could be a faulty electrical connection at the switch that turns that light on (on the CAD). Also could have a small vacuum leak somewhere besides the t case to CAD.

Time to bust out the brake cleaner and guard your eyebrows!

Old 01-28-2011 | 07:43 AM
yellowtruck
|
Rookie

yes it's actually going in and out of 4wd its not just the light. is there a diagram to show the routing of the vacuum line from the transfer case to the intake. Looks like 2 hoses come out one goes to valve cover the other one starts to T off looks like one goes to under battery the other goes through firewall the other goes down towards case. What are they all going to

Old 01-28-2011 | 10:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Have a look here.

You have source vacuum TO the switch on the T-case, and a vent line running up to approximately the same spot, other two lines from the switch, go to the CAD on the front axle. Steel lines like to rust, and leak. Source line likes to get friendly with the exhaust manifold, dry out, and crack..... (or just burn in half.....)

From the passenger side of the manifold, there should be one line going back toward the firewall (sorry Ralph Nader, that's what I am going to call it.) with lines branching to the t/c, one to a vacuum reservoir, and one that goes inside the cab for vent controls. (reservoir is under the cowl, you can't see it unless you dig for it.)

Line heading over toward the battery if for cruise control.

Old 01-28-2011 | 12:10 PM
yellowtruck
|
Rookie

Can I block off cruise control vaccuum line if I don't need it? If so how can I do that

Old 01-28-2011 | 12:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Just plug the port that the lines goes to. Mine actually hooks to the throttle body, not the bag o' snakes.....

Quick Reply: new vacuum 4x4 question