2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Which Engine Choice for Project

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 08:51 PM
Dormaar21
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Engine Choice for Project

I read the guidelines for this thread and I'm not sure if this belongs here, but don't know where else it would fit also, lol.

I'm restoring a '66 Fargo 100 but am using the under belly of a '94 Ram 1500 for the modern/updated running gear. I'm dropping it with Belltech spindles up front and replacing the coil with Air Tech air bags, and a four link air in the rear. For a power plant I'm on the fence, wanted to place a 5.7L Hemi in for daily drive ability, but then I found a 8.0L V10 w/ 5 speed for same price... ish. I'm not concerned about the suspension hold up the weight but what are the thoughts of the 1500 frame holding up to the massive V10?

Thanks,

Old 01-27-2011, 09:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,199 Likes on 2,951 Posts

Putting either one in there is gonna be fun.... The V-10 will probably actually be easier... as they came in the trucks, granted, not in the half tons.... But, that said, everything you need to drop it in there are off the shelf 3/4 ton parts. I don't think there is all that much difference between that, and the half ton.... The Hemi, on the other hand, will require LOTS of fabrication, and assorted other custom work. Hemi would have the advantage of even more advanced electronics, and better fuel economy...... and you are already going to be doing some pretty serious fab work. Choice is yours.....

Old 01-27-2011, 11:10 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd do a 6.1 Hemi. Who has a bagged '66 Fargo with a Hemi out of a new Challenger? Not many. I'd like to see some pictures of this beast and your project.

The only custom fab work would be the engine and transmission mounts. There are some companies that sell stand alone harnesses for the new Hemis. (I think Painless and MSD make engine harnesses). In the case of the V10, it will be harder to wire. You'll have to cut up a truck harness and make it work. And I just dont see that happening.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:18 AM
grox
Veteran

Just put in a carbed 440. It'll get about the same mileage as the V10 without the wiring issues.

If you're going with computer controls, I'd do the extra work and put in a newer hemi, with the variable-cylinder management (something like that). The first couple model years of the Hemi-Magnum engines didn't have that.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:09 AM
TheBigRedOne

Yeah, instead you get to mess around with carbs, jetting, and the constant adjustments that go with it..

Fuel injection all the way. Run a 5.7 and forget about it.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:30 AM
grox
Veteran

Constant adjustments if you change altitude all the time. A rebuilt quadrajet should last quite a while without any problems. Or if you are the type of guy who likes adjusting things, a Holley is pretty simple to do.

Now, if you are the type of guy who likes to restore classics, a classic engine seems like the way to go.

Quick Reply: Which Engine Choice for Project