2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Budget Lift

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 09:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
The black Dodge was built by Top Gun Customz I believe.
Question becomes...... Why??? What's the point?

Old 01-30-2011, 10:20 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Question becomes...... Why??? What's the point?
Same reason a person buys a Hummer

Why ANYONE would want to lift a truck for anything but making it better off road is beyond me.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:41 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Because some people - lots of people actually- just like how a lifted truck looks, regardless of what type of road it goes on.

Why anyone would want to have an orange grill is beyond me too, but some people like it. Same thing. You see now.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:47 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Originally Posted by Silver_Dodge
Because some people - lots of people actually- just like how a lifted truck looks, regardless of what type of road it goes on.

Why anyone would want to have an orange grill is beyond me too, but some people like it. Same thing. You see now.
Who ever said anything about "liking" a orange grille? You do not know how much I want that ****ing thing off my truck.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:56 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You are missing my point. Somebody liked it. That's what's great about our trucks, you can make it any way you want it for any reason you want it.

By the way, it is both cheap an easy to get that grill off your truck. You could have it off in under 5 minutes, and back on without the orange in about another 5 minutes or less. Why are you having a hard time with it.

Back on topic though, as far as budget lifts go, it depends on how you plan to use it. Buying/building a lift is a lot like building your motor. You don't need a super charger and a race built motor in a car that is going to be used to take your kids to school and get groceries. Same thing applies to lifts. Everybody doesn't need a custom made race quality lift when all they want to do is drive around with some big tires or do mild off-roading. So budget lifts have their place. The key is to buy what will work on your truck, what was designed for your truck, make sure it is a good lift with quality parts, and make sure it is installed correctly. All that can easily be done on a budget. Can you then tackle Moab with it? Probably not. But not everyone needs/wants to do that.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:03 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

You are missing my point. Somebody liked it. That's what's great about our trucks, you can make it any way you want it for any reason you want it.

By the way, it is both cheap an easy to get that grill off your truck. You could have it off in under 5 minutes, and back on without the orange in about another 5 minutes or less. Why are you having a hard time with it.
Silver, I get your point 100%, I was just screwing with you. Once spring rolls around and I scrape the bottom of the barrel for a new chrome grille, its outta here. The one on it now is cracked, orange, and held on with zip ties. And I talk about hacked...

Old 01-30-2011, 11:30 PM
matty675
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i personally love "the look" of lifted trucks. my brother has an '05 super duty with 6" on 33/15.50/18R mickey t's and you can bet that thing never sees the mud, but it looks AWESOME... not to mention compound turbos

Old 01-31-2011, 12:34 AM
99dodge318
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh my truck sees alot of off-road use. especially right now, (its south texas rain season!)
the reason i bought a 3" spacer is because thats all they give you in the skyslacker kits, along with lower control arms and 2" rear block.
so far i spent $60 on the steel spacer and found lower control arms for $150, might even have some made with Heim Joints and DOM tubing for less. and add-a-leafs for $100.

thats a full lift kit pieced togetherfor less than $300, meanwhile a name brand kits gonna run $400-1200

Old 01-31-2011, 12:37 AM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

That scary steering site is super funny stuff.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:41 AM
TheBigRedOne
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ugly1
hey TheBigRedOne what would it take for you to hook me up with one of those sweet tube bash plates bumpers like on that Ford and that other Dodge you posted here?
What would it take me to do it? About $600. It would take you about $60 in materials.

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
Using process of elimination that leaves Skyjacker, Superlift, KORE, Carli, and a few others.
I forgot to exclude Skycracker and Superlol as well. KORE doesn't have any products for 2nd gen trucks, but Carli does. You'd have to look in their catalog or the aftermarket to find them though. Why can't you lot understand that the majority of these lift kits are made by the same company, in CHINA? Procomp for example is exclusively a Chinese product. They share products with Rancho and Tuff Country. A few others as well. Their importing and packaging facility is in Chula Vista, CA.

No brand name manufacturer makes a good lift. They don't spend millions of dollars designing, testing and, manufacturing lifts that have to meet a laundry list of safety and reliability requirments. They don't have their lifts on competition rigs in every type of off-road sport. Their lifts aren't found on hundreds of thousands of off-road trucks and jeeps that get used and abused far worse then most people on this forum would ever attempt, and have them outlast the trucks and jeeps they are on.
HAHAHAH Bull! Please someone find me the Rancho prerunner, or the Tuff Country Trophy truck. Oh wait, thats because they don't exist. Using Spacers, blocks, and tighter coils isn't "designing". It's "how can we quickly make a buck off of people who don't know any better?" Am I saying all the kits out there are bad? No. Terraflex makes some great products for Jeeps that actually work. However, about 95% of the stuff out there for these trucks is just garbage. "Hey, lets put twin shocks in the front because it looks sweet, then charge $500 to do it." wtf? I know for a fact that I work my race vehicles harder then most of this forum put together. That's why I've twisted shocks, bent links, split tubes, broken welds, and the like. However, all of that damage usually had something to do with landing (you cant race/ get airborne with your precious spacers), or colliding with other vehicles.

Originally Posted by matty675
HAHAHAHAHA here we go...............................AGAIN!!

personally, if it were me, id get some raw material, and bend them by hand to form a coil spring
The guy in the snop over turns his own coils for coilovers, to offer more choices for tension. Do you have a problem with that?

Last edited by TheBigRedOne; 01-31-2011 at 06:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Budget Lift