2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Beefing up spring load capacity of 1/2 ton springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 07:02 PM
newman1367
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drewactual

the only problem is, the truck is a lot higher than I originally planned.. I've raised it a total of seven inches now, all suspension.

When I lifted mine and stood back and looked, I snickered and then said the wife is going to kill me (she ripped her skirt getting in when it was stock) Then when I went to get inside to take a test drive, I said Oh crap.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:19 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

how's it ride. smooth enough to drink coffee or rougher than a motorboat?

Old 02-05-2011, 07:39 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
assuming your speaking to me:

It's not as easy answer...

I put a level kit under it, and despised the ride.. It was way too firm and I lost a LOT of turn radius (rubbing), and wouldn't dare take a bump of any size with the wheels turned..

I put on the lift, and gained back my turn radius and had full travel of the suspension back.. but even with 3" blocks under the rear, I don't think the truck sat more than 1" higher than stock- the leaves were in that bad of condition.. they were more like an 'S', or wavy, than they were a lazy 'C'...

The superlift soft ride springs are 3" taller than stock.. Speaking from a functional vantage and not appearances, they have a sharp curve in their progression- meaning the first few inches of travel aren't that much different from stock leaves, but when they are compressed beyond the first third of travel they 'ramp' the progression much sharper than stock- they are far more progressive in other words.. The height of the top bed rail is even with my shoulders- I'm 6'3"..

The leaves I pulled off of it were in terrible shape- like I said, sitting them on the bolt eyes and sitting a 3" block on top of them, they were still 2" shorter than the superlifts.. I had to remove all the pre-load from the torsion bars to make it sit near level.. Unloading those torsion bars made the truck 'swim' in corners, and hitting puddles at speed on the street would make the truck pull HARD.. but because of the torsion bars and NOT the leaves.. It was like riding in an old Cadillac..

I put the 2" blocks back on it, underneath the 3" softride springs.. It's actually close to 7" higher than the original height..

I raised the torsion bars about 2/3 of the way- (I still have the 2.5" longer torsion keys in the rack).. This made the front of the truck raise to 48 1/2" from ground to top of fender well, and the truck sits almost dead level..

I haven't put anything in it or on the hitch yet, so I can't tell you how the tighter springs are going to do under load, but driving it now feels nice and firm, but not neat as much as the level kit did.. I'd guess it's close to what stock felt like before I owned the truck.. but it doesn't 'swim' at all.. it tracks nicely..

You wouldn't believe how much turning those torsion bars took it out of alignment though.. When the driver wheel was straight, the passenger wheel was 1/8 turned.. The toe was ridiculous, and the camber was visibly WAY out. I eyeballed it and drove it straight to the alignment shop..

Old 02-05-2011, 10:06 PM
newman1367
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dhvaughan

If your talking to me, it's smooth enough to drink coffee. When I have TSL's on though, it's a totally different story.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:27 PM
daleas88
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a set of add a leafs in my truck and I pulled a 78 chevy k2500 and my truck barely squatted at all! And u may want to put a trans cooler in if you tow alot, just a tip.. I learned the hard way and fried my trans pulling that 78

Quick Reply: Beefing up spring load capacity of 1/2 ton springs