2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:04 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

HID Kit MOD Dodge Ram

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 08:37 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Blue, Indigo and purple have the shortest wavelength of all colors of the spectrum, as such, seeing distance clearly is impeded when using blueish lights.

Also, DOT studies have shown that there is about a third greater glare seen by oncoming traffic when using these lights.

If blueish lights have a "DOT Approved" stamped on the packaging, they still are not legal, most people don't realize that in the US, the DOT has no authority to either approve or disapprove lights. Rather, the burden is up to the manufacturer to certify that the light is up to any and all applicable standards.

If you are stopped and your lights are shown to be "not white" by an in-field beam tester, you can be given a ticket, which you will in most occasions be given a certain amount of time to rectify, with proof, or you will be subject to a fine.

Although it's just not a good idea to run blue or blue tinted lights, contrary to statement made in this thread, it is NOT a felony to be caught with blue headlights.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:08 PM
TheBigRedOne
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
\
Although it's just not a good idea to run blue or blue tinted lights, contrary to statement made in this thread, it is NOT a felony to be caught with blue headlights.
In my state it DEFINITELY is. I know my state laws far better then you do.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:18 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, that is one California law I can agree with.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:36 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

In California, it is illegal, however, I can find no mentioning of it being a felony except in extreme cases. If you can show me, in type, where it says its a felony, I will concede the point to you.

Extreme cases: its only a felony if the officer can prove you intended to use the blue headlights to impersonate an officer (or other emergency vehicle) and/or intend to use them to help you commit a crime. Otherwise, after a few "fix it" tickets/court sessions, it can be considered a misdemeanor.

I even confirmed that by reading a few comments posted by California police officers in a police forum. Here is that forum.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:48 PM
TheBigRedOne

I could care less if you believe me or not. The son of a man who worked in my shop just went through this about a year ago. He had a show car with strobes in the lights, and 10k HID's. He had them on in a parking lot with some other cars at an impromptu "Car show" and was arrested by El Cajon police who said he was doing this and that. He ended up with a 6 month sentence served at VDF in Vista. He paroled early and now has a felony on his record. All for some blue lights. In San Diego they don't screw around with this blue headlight/HID nonsense. HID's have no place in reflector housings, or on anything the didn't come from the factory in. External lighting equipment is a completely different story.

The law is the law, its a simple as that. It's not worth the time and hassle kids. Just don't break the law. Simple.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:25 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well this story just doesnt seem right, cops cant go onto private property and arrest someone for his blue lights and strobes.
Now the second he got onto public roads thats a different story, if this is really the case he needs a new lawyer forsure.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:41 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigRedOne

The law is the law, its a simple as that. It's not worth the time and hassle kids. Just don't break the law. Simple.

The law is the law, 'tis true, but calling an INFRACTION a FELONY would be one more example of not having the slightest clue what the hell you're talking about. Strobes is another story, but we are talking headlights here.

Jason, as usual is spot on. The lights would have to be used in such a way as to be impersonating an officer of the law or emergency vehicle in the commitment of a crime to be a felony. Headlights wouldn't cut it, would have to be strobes or lights behind the grill.

Originally Posted by TheBigRedOne
In my state it DEFINITELY is. I know my state laws far better then you do.
Based on your IP address, I've read the statute in your state, where you know the laws so much better than I do (and I've worked in law enforcement btw). Would you like me to paste it in this thread or give you the opportunity to back up your statement?

Last edited by HammerZ71; 02-02-2011 at 12:02 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:20 AM
TheBigRedOne

Originally Posted by HammerZ71

Based on your IP address, I've read the statute in your state, where you know the laws so much better than I do (and I've worked in law enforcement btw). Would you like me to paste it in this thread or give you the opportunity to back up your statement?
Go for it. Because if you had actually looked at my IP address, you would realize that I'm not even in California right now.

Oh, and moot point. The law is the law, and aftermarket HID's are illegal. Period. Blue HID's are just a way to draw attention to yourself. Blue HID's = illegal in all 50 states. No matter how you try and cut it.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:41 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

I think it wasn't just the fact that he had blue lights, the STROBES would be the thing that really annoyed the police officer.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:01 PM
TheBigRedOne

Right, but neither of them seemed to have caught that detail. The combination of both are what got the guy into trouble.

Quick Reply: HID Kit MOD Dodge Ram