2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bad PCM???????????

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 03:14 PM
DRP74
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes distrubutor was out Replaced the shaft between the distrubutor and the oil pump. Distrubutor is only year old. Had replaced that in old motor. Timing i believe is set. I was off before and the truck ran worse. And with timing light it was jumping all over the place. Pulled it up and moved it a tooth and got everything aligned right. Now with Timing light it's right on.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:24 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry to say that is not how it's set. You need to have the fuel sync reset with a capable scanner. The PCM sets timing and the distributor sets timing for the fuel injectors. It's not like old school. A timing light on these trucks does nothing.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:56 PM
DRP74

Had it plugged into scanner. it was showing timing at 0 and was getting signal from crank and cam sensors. Showed the Gap ok. Hmmm does the PCM need to reset. or something to make it relearn what it's at?

Old 02-05-2011, 05:27 PM
DRP74

Well Monday i'm gonna go ahead and pull off the water pump and brackets to take and go ahead and pull intake back off. Change the plenum gasket and then put it all back together. While the intake is off and it's really easy to get at the distrubutor should i pull it and bring motor to TDC and drop again and make sure rotor still it's the number 1 on cap? Anything else I should check while i'm in there?

Old 02-07-2011, 03:41 PM
DRP74

Ok well today went ahead and pulled the Intake back off replaced the Plenum gasket, made sure everything was all hooked up wires, vacuum. Firing order is correct. Started truck up still does same thing. had new PCM here so plugged it in. Fired it up. Same thing. I can not figure this out. The truck starts but runs real rough popping and sputtering. what else could it be?????:icon_rtfm ::icon _rtfm: :icon_d oh::icon_d oh:

Old 02-07-2011, 04:53 PM
stands2p
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DRP74
Ok well today went ahead and pulled the Intake back off replaced the Plenum gasket, made sure everything was all hooked up wires, vacuum. Firing order is correct. Started truck up still does same thing. had new PCM here so plugged it in. Fired it up. Same thing. I can not figure this out..............
got any pics.never done this before.OIDH

Old 02-07-2011, 05:04 PM
DRP74

Sorry didn't take any pics. It's a pretty simple job, disconnect the injector plugs, throttle cables, fuel line from fuel rail, pull of Alternator, and AC pump, belt, upper radiator hose, make sure all other wires are unplugged. pull out the 14 bolts lift off. Change the plenum gasket, reassemble.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:23 PM
stands2p
Banned

that suck no truck ****.i tend to do better with it.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:14 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DRP74
Well Monday i'm gonna go ahead and pull off the water pump and brackets to take and go ahead and pull intake back off. Change the plenum gasket and then put it all back together. While the intake is off and it's really easy to get at the distrubutor should i pull it and bring motor to TDC and drop again and make sure rotor still it's the number 1 on cap? Anything else I should check while i'm in there?
It's never going to run without re-timing the engine TO the PCM and, in order to do that, you must take it into the dealer where they will connect it to a diagnostic and reprogramming tool, not only set the FUEL SYNC offset value at the PCM but, also, they are going to scope BOTH the CKPS and CPS sensor reference signals to see if they are in time with one another. They may also check the waveform for inverse wave formation.

Anytime you swap out one of these engines in an EFI system, the PCM must relearn the engine's CAM to CRANK relationship in relationship to the FUEL DELIVERY SYSTEM controller / FUEL SYNC value. It's probably too far out on the engine that, the CKPS to CPS is triggering Auto Shutdown Mode at the PCM as a means of failsafe event. It's most likely lost reference and, it's not going to allow the motor to start at all until the timing is re-programmed at the PCM level.

You may also have an issue with one or more of the two master sensors: CKPS and CPS to where, if they are not OEM make, they are most likely not meeting the waveform specifications per OEM spec thus, the reference signal is totally inaccurate and induces either popping, sputtering, backfiring, to a no-start condition etc etc. I've had two pairs of master sensors right out of the box be of no use due to not meeting spec that were from Napa and Kragen. I recommend nothing but OEM all the way for all sensors.

The only way to verify if inverse wave or, slope condition is present or not is to run it on a scope and see what the waveform looks like and, you don't have the tools to do this but, a great shop will have those tools and, most dealers have scopes built in to the rack rigs for checking that and the firing line as well. Find a top notch dealer service station that has the right tools and top notch technicians. They'll put it online for you for about 200.00 providing that the mechanical portion of the CAM, Dizzy and Crank are aligned properly and are not excessively advanced / improperly indexed.

CM

Last edited by cmckenna; 02-07-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:18 AM
stands2p
Banned

bi-directional supported scantool can reset and set all timing related functions.

this includes....reset of cam crank sync status,set sync signal ect

Last edited by stands2p; 02-08-2011 at 04:58 AM.