2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

97 ram transmission problems?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 07:40 AM
bigbach007
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 ram transmission problems?

Watsup guys. I have a 97 ram 1500 5.9 4x4 with an automatic tranny. I've had the truck for 2 years has about 130,000 mi and i've never had any problems, but about 2 months ago I started to have some electrical issues with the truck. When I would turn the key on the ASD relay would just chatter like crazy. Sometimes it would stop after a few seconds and the truck would start fine but sometimes it wouldn't and I found that if i just wiggled the ground cable that ran from the battery to the front of the engine block that the relay would stop switching and the truck would start. So i ran a new ground cable from the battery down to the stud on the front of the motor and the problem went away for like 3 weeks until the other day. I was driving down the highway and the push button to turn over drive on and off off on the dash lit up as if i turned overdrive off. And I couldn't get it to switch state to turn overdrive back on. I got a fault code for "torque converter clutch solenoid circuit open volts" and when I try to pull out at a stop sign now it won't pull out if the shifter is in the drive position. It will just sit there like its in neutral. However, If I pull it down into 1st gear it pulls out without a problem. I can then shift it back into drive and it will usually go up through the gears without a problem. However, sometimes it won't upshift out of 2nd though. During this little transmission dilemma, my ASD relay began to act up again. I took it to a local garage and the guy told me my torque converter and my transmission need to be replaced. I'm just wondering if it is just coincidence that these electrical issues are happening at the same time my tranny is going bad or if they could be related. Thanks

Old 02-05-2011, 11:04 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

TCC failure should indeed disable overdrive. (being in fourth gear without tcc will smoke your trans right quick.) Need to fix that problem first. Check the wiring for the TCC solenoid, make sure that it is getting power to the solenoid, PCM grounds the circuit to engage it. May just be a failed solenoid....

Also sounds like governor pressure sensor/solenoid (two separate parts) are going the way of the dodo..... they tend to get packed full of sludge, and stop working. Simply replacing them might fix that one.

Recheck ALL of your grounds. Also, swap the ASD relay with the horn relay, see if that improves its attitude at all.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:48 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

What were the code #s?

Quick Reply: 97 ram transmission problems?