2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1 problem after the other

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 12:50 PM
chardy86
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1 problem after the other

Well I finally got my fuel pump fixed today and while out test driving I noticed my truck felt kind of sluggish, and i heard ticking valves and noticed that i had no oil pressure, Im wondering if i may have knocked something lose during the fuel pump change, bc i had no prior problems. Any idea?

Old 02-16-2011, 12:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Coincidence. The two have nothing to do with each other. Unless you knocked something off while doing the pump. If you are not seeing a large puddle of oil under the truck, that probably isn't the case.

How many miles on the truck? This is something you want to fix NOW, don't even drive it to the parts store. Oil pumps are not that expensive, I think I spend less than a hundred bucks, including the oil change, to replace mine. (I went with a high volume pump, for my high mileage motor...... good pressure now.)

Old 02-16-2011, 12:59 PM
96smokestack
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Coincidence. The two have nothing to do with each other. Unless you knocked something off while doing the pump. If you are not seeing a large puddle of oil under the truck, that probably isn't the case.

How many miles on the truck? This is something you want to fix NOW, don't even drive it to the parts store. Oil pumps are not that expensive, I think I spend less than a hundred bucks, including the oil change, to replace mine. (I went with a high volume pump, for my high mileage motor...... good pressure now.)
Could be a faulty oil pressure sensor, not the oil pump.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:08 PM
chardy86

i know a fuel pump and a oil pump has nothing to do with each other, 250k miles on the truck. Im afraid it is the pump, hence the ticking valves, bc if it were the sending unit, or a sensor, then you would not have ticking valves. How hard is it to change (oil pump)??

Old 02-16-2011, 01:12 PM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker

Drop the oil pan and 3 bolts hold it in. Real simple.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:30 PM
96smokestack
Professional

Originally Posted by chardy86
i know a fuel pump and a oil pump has nothing to do with each other, 250k miles on the truck. Im afraid it is the pump, hence the ticking valves, bc if it were the sending unit, or a sensor, then you would not have ticking valves. How hard is it to change (oil pump)??
Unless the "ticking valves" turn out to be an exhaust leak. One easy solution is to hook up an aftermarket gauge and check the pressure that way. If you had "zero" pressure for more than 60 seconds your rods would be knocking like a rock in a rattle can. What is the gauge showing at idle?

Old 02-16-2011, 01:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Getting TO the oil pump is the fun part. There are a LOT of bolts on the oil pan. Took me about two hours from grabbing my tools, to firing the engine. And that was in my driveway.

Quick Reply: 1 problem after the other