2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46RE band adjustment, I need some input

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 03:04 PM
candymancan
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok i brought it a transmission shop and the mechanic who test drove the Jeep said hes been doing it for 35 years, during the test drive he said that 2nd to 3rd gear Jerk i was fealing isnt a Jerk its a really firm shift. He said the Jeep is shifting really firm and that I have nothing to worry about. He said some people pay alot of money to get a transmission to shift firm like mine is.

He did however say the overdrive shift into 4th gear has a shutter to it, he said thats the only thing he would keep an eye on, saying that a shutter can be caused by a snap ring that might have broken a little bit or something, but since i didnt find anything in the pan I dunno. He said just cause it wasnt in the pan doesnt mean it hasnt broken or something, he said the torque converter locks perfectly and it shifts into all the gears perfectly and firmly except that shutter into 4th gear.

He said from what he saw during the test drive i have nothing to worry about and he wouldnt spend anymore money on it. He said as long as it shifts like this and downshifts fine to have some gain speed when driving then its working fine. He said he would keep driving it and if it gets worse bring it in to have to checked out more in depth and go from there.

So what do you guys make of this ?

Last edited by candymancan; 02-21-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:50 PM
BIGBIRD85
Veteran

now that is a tough one. 2nd opinion wont hurt.
now the delimeia, one guy says one thing and another says something else. what to do.

my opinion...........drive it like you stole it. fix it when it leaves you beside the road.
remember this........if it has ***** or wheels it will give you problems eventually!!
lots of fun till then, but both can leave you beside the road!!

Old 02-21-2011, 05:14 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by candymancan
He said some people pay alot of money to get a transmission to shift firm like mine is.
That oughta tell you something right there. There's a reason people pay a lot of money to get that shift, and if the stock parts could safely make that shift those people wouldn't be paying for it.

Band adjustment is a scheduled maintenance item, at 100,000 miles for Light Duty Schedule "A" per the factory service manual. Were it mine, those bands would be adjusted very soon, preferably a month ago.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:17 PM
candymancan
Veteran

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
That oughta tell you something right there. There's a reason people pay a lot of money to get that shift, and if the stock parts could safely make that shift those people wouldn't be paying for it.

Band adjustment is a scheduled maintenance item, at 100,000 miles for Light Duty Schedule "A" per the factory service manual. Were it mine, those bands would be adjusted very soon, preferably a month ago.

I dont have any money lol im in between Jobs, meaning i dont have a Job, im waiting for the weather to warm up so i can get moving again on my buisness.

Anyway what do you think about what he said, should i continue looking into this ? Or leave it alone, basicly he said it feals fine to him and its just a firm shift that im fealing. Maybe I'll find another shop around here and have them look at it to get a 2nd opinion.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:15 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Anyway what do you think about what he said, should i continue looking into this ?
I would, if it were mine.

The way I see it, always, is this: It's not the mechanic who ends up walking away from my broken-down truck, it's me.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:20 PM
candymancan
Veteran

Heh ok, ill try to find another shop around here that will check it out and see what they think.

I wish i had the previous owners phone number so i could ask him what all he did to the Jeep. There is a big gap between the last reported service at 60k miles and when he sold it at 118k. The last service only says the transmission was serviced and nothing else.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:57 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

There is a big gap between the last reported service at 60k miles and when he sold it at 118k. The last service only says the transmission was serviced and nothing else.
If someone thought it was being used more in accordance with Schedule B, then it would have been fluid, filter, and band adjustment if it was in keeping with the factory service manual -- and it would have been due again at 90,000 miles in that service category, too.

I'm curious to know how this all works out for you.

Quick Reply: 46RE band adjustment, I need some input