2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Diff Between Sport Models and Base?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005 | 03:44 AM
Trippen
|
Professional
Default RE: Diff Between Sport Models and Base?

http://www.ssd4u.com/streetsmart_126.htm

Found these for Skid Plates Link is above

RDC10-10300 Stainless Steel Skid Plate - Universal $ 203.52

RCD10-10600 Aluminum Skid Plate - Universal $ 154.17

Hope this helps

Found a good pic of a transfer case skid plate in this thread
https://dodgeforum.com/m_240833/tm.htm

Old 06-27-2005 | 04:20 PM
1500sport
Professional

Ok I've read all these threads about sports and some of you guys need to do your homework. I have a 2001 quad cab 4x4 sport and look at other sports all the time. The 99-01 sports are different then the 98 and below sports. The 99-01 have platic color matched facia with a metal framework behind it that is not a complete bumper. The 99-01 also has dual beam headlights thus meaning when your brights are on then all four bulbs are on. As for the off-road package it has a 2" lift, 285 tires and 17" wheels I believe. Not for sure on everything included. My sport even comes with 3.55 gears.

Old 06-27-2005 | 04:25 PM
1500sport
Professional

Here is my build sheet from Dodge.
According to our records, your vehicle was equipped from the factory
with the following:

Premium Cloth 40/20/40 Bench Seat
Light Group
Heavy Duty Service Group
Sport Appearance Group
Trailer Tow Group
Convenience Group
Monotone Paint
SLT Decor Group
Travel Convenience Group
5.9L Engine(EML)/4Sp Auto Trans(DGT)
136 Amp Alternator
750 Amp Maintenance Free Battery
Pwr Disc/Drum Rr Anti-Lock Brakes
40/20/40 Split Bench Seat
Front Height Adjust Shoulder Belts
Next Generation Front Air Bags**
Passenger Air Bag On/Off Switch
Deluxe Headliner
Front Seat Area Carpet
Front Floor Mats
Passenger Assist Handle
Rear Underseat Compartment Storage
Overhead Console w/Trip Computer
All 4-Speed Automatic Transmissions
4-Spd. Automatic 46RE Transmission
Lock-Up Torque Converter
Shift-on-the-Fly,231HD Transfer Case
Dana M44/216MM Front Axle
3.55 Axle Ratio
Corporate 9.25 LD Rear Axle
Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle
All Engines
All Gas Engine
5.9L V8 MPI Engine
Tinted Glass Windows
Rear Sliding Window
Rear View Auto Dim Mirror
Sun Visors w/Vanity Mirror
Power Heated Mirrors, Fold-Away
All Vehicles W/Power Mirrors
Remote Keyless Entry
Air Conditioning
Dash Liner Insulation
Instrument Cluster w/Tach
120 MPH Primary Speedometer
Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers
Cigar Lighter
Dual Note Electric Horns
12V Auxiliary Power Outlet
Power Locks
Power Windows, Driver One-Touch
Power 8-Way Driver Seat
Power Driver Seat
STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR
STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR
Map/Courtesy Lamp
Glove Box Lamp
Underhood Lamp
Halogen Headlamps
Halogen Quad Headlamps
Fog Lamps
Cargo Lamp
Body Color Front Bumper
Body Color w/Step Pads Rear Bumper
Front License Plate Bracket
Body Color Grille
Black Windshield Moldings
Sport Badge
Removable Tailgate w/Caliper Latches
Federal Emissions
EVAP Control System
26 Gallon Polyethylene Fuel Tank
Auxiliary Transmission Oil Cooler
Speed Control
Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
Black Clear Coat
Black Clear Coat
All Radio Equipped Vehicles
AM/FM Compact Disc Radio
Infinity Speakers
Fixed Long Mast Antenna
Power Rack and Pinion Steering
Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
Front Heavy Duty Shock Absorbers
Rear Heavy Duty Shock Absorbers
Front Stabilizer Bar
Tilt Steering Column
Full Size Spare Tire
Tire Carrier Winch
P265/75R16 OWL On/Off Road Tires
Goodyear Brand Tires
Steel Spare Wheel
All Aluminum Wheels
Chrome Center Hub
16X7.0 Cast Aluminum Wheels
Pickup Box
Supplier - Sweptline Box - Pemsa
Transfer Case Skid Plate Shield
Hitch - Class IV Receiver
7 Pin Wiring Harness
7 to 4 Pin Wiring Adaptor
Under Rail Box Bedliner

Thank you again for your email.

Also for some strange reason my truck did not have any sport decals on the bed or hood and the tailgate was bare. I bought it used and the stickers may have been taken off, don't know for sure but it was a lease vehicle so I would think that the stickers wouldn't have been allowed to be taken off.

Old 06-27-2005 | 11:40 PM
bamory
Captain

What homework should we do, we own the trucks? If I asked Dodge to paint a set of ******* on my tailgate at the factory and I will pay for it, guess what they would say.....how big!!!!!!!!

Definition of bumper---a mechanical device consisting of bars at either end of a vehicle to absorb shock and prevent serious damage......Anything which resists or deadens a bump or shock; a buffer

So yes we all have bumpers, looks pretty solid and all the way across to me, directly to the frame, how about the rest of yours?

Mine didn't come with the 285's, and mine says OFF ROAD on it, build sheet says OFF ROAD looks like factory stickers too, and a big SPORT on both sides of the hood...

I see some came with larger amp alternators....subtle differences....but not enough for me to do any homework on.....I bought mine used also so its hard to say what was ordered and then taken off or put on

Old 06-28-2005 | 12:05 PM
1500sport
Professional

ORIGINAL: bamory

What homework should we do, we own the trucks? If I asked Dodge to paint a set of ******* on my tailgate at the factory and I will pay for it, guess what they would say.....how big!!!!!!!!

Definition of bumper---a mechanical device consisting of bars at either end of a vehicle to absorb shock and prevent serious damage......Anything which resists or deadens a bump or shock; a buffer

So yes we all have bumpers, looks pretty solid and all the way across to me, directly to the frame, how about the rest of yours?

Mine didn't come with the 285's, and mine says OFF ROAD on it, build sheet says OFF ROAD looks like factory stickers too, and a big SPORT on both sides of the hood...

I see some came with larger amp alternators....subtle differences....but not enough for me to do any homework on.....I bought mine used also so its hard to say what was ordered and then taken off or put on
When refering to the bumper, go look at a 98 and below sport and you will see what I mean. Their bumpers are the same style as the regular chrome factory bumpers but they are painted instead of being chrome. The 99-01 sports have a metal bumper support behind the plastic facia but it is not the same as a factory style bumper.

Maybe you need to get a build sheet to find out what your truck came with. Buying it used could mean that someone went with smaller tires than what came on it from factory.

The bigger alternator comes with the trailer tow package, so when you say subtle differences you are wrong because the trailer tow package is not just a small difference so I think maybe you better check out what you are talking about.

Ah ya if you can get dodge to paint some ******* and they do a good job let me know how much that costs because that would be pretty cool.

Old 06-28-2005 | 02:41 PM
bamory
Captain

My build sheet is posted earlier on this post, I think they added my hitch and wiring harness after it was purchased, its like comparing apples to oranges, i have this, you have that, but 20 amps on an alternator is pretty subtle to me, a reese hitch is pretty subtle also, kinda like saying an extra cup holder is an option, I compare axles, transmissions, engines, suspensions...none of which i see are too much different except mine is almost way to stiff for the road.....as for the *******....would that be politically correct

As for the bumper, your right, its got a fascia sheet over it, not chrome, but still a pretty solid piece and a bumper by definition still the same

Also i saw a post somewhere about the digital overhead display...anyone know if thats interchangable with a 99 Sport, I see extra wires up there

Old 06-28-2005 | 04:02 PM
1500sport
Professional

ORIGINAL: bamory

My build sheet is posted earlier on this post, I think they added my hitch and wiring harness after it was purchased, its like comparing apples to oranges, i have this, you have that, but 20 amps on an alternator is pretty subtle to me, a reese hitch is pretty subtle also, kinda like saying an extra cup holder is an option, I compare axles, transmissions, engines, suspensions...none of which i see are too much different except mine is almost way to stiff for the road.....as for the *******....would that be politically correct

As for the bumper, your right, its got a fascia sheet over it, not chrome, but still a pretty solid piece and a bumper by definition still the same

Also i saw a post somewhere about the digital overhead display...anyone know if thats interchangable with a 99 Sport, I see extra wires up there
I wasn't paying quite enough attention to realize your build sheet was the other one I was looking at. oops

The main advantage of having tow hitch from factory is that all the wiring is all ready down from front to back and there is a 4 prong connector under the dash that a break controller can plug into. I don't think non-tow packages have this. If the dealership put the hitch in though they did all the tough **** with the wiring. I hate messing with that much wiring. Tow package also comes with auxilary tranny cooler which is a big plus.

Not sure if the digital display interchanges or not.

Old 06-28-2005 | 08:22 PM
mxmancr250
Professional

OK, I feel ripped off now. I have the sport off-road with a bigger alternator and auxillary trans cooler but no trailer wiring or hitch of any kind, nor has one ever been installed. Since it was the off-road package too it was supposed to have the kick *** 17x8 wheels but the moron before me must have sold them on ebay and slapped on some not so cool factory wheels. [sm=bomb.gif] I was wondering about the digital read out thing above the mirror too, mine doesn't have one and I would like to put one in if it isn't too much trouble. Somone also mentioned that the off-road was supposed to come with 4.10 gears but my sheet didn't tell me what the gears were. Is it marked somewhere on the truck what gears you have?

Old 06-29-2005 | 12:45 AM
bamory
Captain

The auxillary tranny cooler is next, does it all route to that cooler or does it tap off the radiator, havent checked into them yet.....as for gear ratio check the door stamp, may tell u there

Old 06-29-2005 | 01:59 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

Gear ratio will either be on the underside of the hood (on earlier models) or in the glovebox (I believe) in the later models. It's also on the tag that's bolted to your differential cover

As far as the aux. cooler, it taps off of the radiator (and returns it to the radiator). At least that's the way it's set up on my '94.

Quick Reply: Diff Between Sport Models and Base?