2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

affordable offroad lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 08:45 AM
Pacmanloads
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$600 for one light .... you had better be racing for a living and have a sponsor buy them for you cause that is ridiculous . I bought 10 6" off road lights at a store here called princess auto . They were on clearance for $8 each . I had bought 4 of them a couple years back for $20 each and I had them on my bronco that spent most of it's time underwater and being beaten through the woods. I had them fastened to the bumper and when I finally wrecked the truck there was 2 " of water inside the light housing and they still worked . So $100 per light is not cheap , it just shows that some people can get ripped off really easy .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N36Yn_TcTts

Old 02-26-2011, 10:04 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

These are my lights http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/100-W...Q5fAccessories

I got one set at Walmart 4 or 5 years ago for $25. Then saw the same ones on Ebay for the same price so I got another set.
They're made by Rally. They're 100 watts each with a H1 bulb and can be easily upgraded to a H7 bulb. They have a glass lens too so there won't be any fading going on like the stock headlight lenses. They're pretty bright but they have a spotlight type of beam instead of a flood beam, that's why I have 4 instead of just 2. I have the two on the outside pointing toward the middle of the road and the two inside lights pointing at the ditches so I have a pretty good wall of light when they're all turned on.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:12 AM
DukesOfHazzard
Record Breaker

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ad-lights.html I bought the harbor frieghts, rewired em with 12ga in side and bought hella h3 130 watt bulbs to replace the 55w ones works perfect. and total was 60 bucks for everything

Old 02-26-2011, 01:03 PM
TheBigRedOne

Originally Posted by Pacmanloads
$600 for one light .... you had better be racing for a living and have a sponsor buy them for you cause that is ridiculous . I bought 10 6" off road lights at a store here called princess auto . They were on clearance for $8 each . I had bought 4 of them a couple years back for $20 each and I had them on my bronco that spent most of it's time underwater and being beaten through the woods. I had them fastened to the bumper and when I finally wrecked the truck there was 2 " of water inside the light housing and they still worked . So $100 per light is not cheap , it just shows that some people can get ripped off really easy .
Soo, high quality equipment is a rip off? Sounds like the only person who got ripped off here is the one buying the cheap China crap from walmart and autozone.

Herp derp GdubyaB&ForeDubyaDee! yerp derp

Old 02-26-2011, 01:24 PM
DukesOfHazzard
Record Breaker

Wtf? ^^^^

Old 02-26-2011, 01:41 PM
bekins01ram
Veteran

"Soo, high quality equipment is a rip off?"

Yes, that's what we're saying. It is a rip off. I've had a set of lights from autozone i paid 30$ for, and installed inside my front bumper. They've been there over a year, and still work, and still are bright as when they were new.

Theyve been buried in mud, powerwashed, dealt with road salt/ gravel and still burn bright, and thats with the cheap bulbs that came with it. I'll never pay 100$ for one light. That's ridiculus. But if you enjoy being ripped off, keep buying whatever crap you're buying. There's absolutely no reason a light should cost that much. The manufacturers are making a killing off of you.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:06 PM
TheBigRedOne

Originally Posted by bekins01ram
"Soo, high quality equipment is a rip off?"

Yes, that's what we're saying. It is a rip off. I've had a set of lights from autozone i paid 30$ for, and installed inside my front bumper. They've been there over a year, and still work, and still are bright as when they were new.

Theyve been buried in mud, powerwashed, dealt with road salt/ gravel and still burn bright, and thats with the cheap bulbs that came with it. I'll never pay 100$ for one light. That's ridiculus. But if you enjoy being ripped off, keep buying whatever crap you're buying. There's absolutely no reason a light should cost that much. The manufacturers are making a killing off of you.
Do you understand what an HID lamp is? Or how it works? The light output is many times greater then that of a halogen lamp. Also, a well made one has a reflector specifically designed for the HID capsule in it. The best part is, HID lamps run cooler and use less power then Halogen lamps. Two of the Kragen HID's on the roof of my Expedition, make more light then 5 comparable halogen lamps, in the same size and wattage. While using far less power.

Five 55 watt halogen lamps = approx 20.5 amps. Approx 1450 lumens per lamp = 7250 total.

Two 55 watt HID lamps = approx 9.5 amps. Approx 5000 lumens per lamp. = 10,000 lumens total

So for half the power use, you get the power of almost 7 lamps, out of two.. Not only does this save bumper / roof/ rack space, it saves power, gas, and increases visibility.
Kragen 9" HID's can be found on Ebay for as little as $50-100 each.

I strongly suggest you do some research and know the facts the next time you try to tell me I'm wrong about the industry I work in.
I will enjoy being ripped off. Because at the end of the day, I'll see that rut or rock and have time to dodge it.

Kids these days need to learn to save money and get rid of this "I have to have it now" attitude. At the high school I volunteer at, I see a number of trucks in some stage of built. Many of the kids I know personally as they take part in the program I help out with. Most of them save the $$ and pay for their own stuff, and build the majority of it themselves.

Save a bit more money, and get a much better result.

Last edited by TheBigRedOne; 02-26-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Question becomes: Does someone that offroads as a HOBBY, NEED to spend that much? No. They don't.

Four lights for half the price will be more than adequate to the task.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:19 PM
TheBigRedOne

Hell yes they do. Two cheap HID lamps are an excellent investment. Not only do they last LONGER then a cheap halogen lamp, they can be taken to other vehicles as well! Hell, my Integra has HID's in the high beams, simply for driving on back roads.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

That assumption presupposes that someone has the MONEY to "invest". I can buy a lotta bulbs for the price difference....

Quick Reply: affordable offroad lights