2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

affordable offroad lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 08:40 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahhh..I think i've determined the issue...

It's definetly a "west coast thing"...meaning, everything is bigger and badder there, and if you don't spend the big bucks you're hardly worth a second glance. It's all about first impressions, and you've got to make a big statement that you are THE...

So a generic 6" isn't gonna cut it. Back in the days it was the big deal, but it's so passe', so, so...yesterday. So retro it's a no go. It's cheap, anyone can have one, and they tend to fail quickly (or so I'm told). Who wants the cheap stuff?

So for 600 bucks a pop you can have 9 inches. Everyone can see you coming. It burns your eyes yet you can't turn away. And when you have 9 inches beaming ahead, you know it. You're a high speed thoroughbred blasting by those average guys. After all they think 6 inches works fine. Mindless serfs! All that slow steady working through the muck and rock! Peasants! That senseless toilling is not for you! Eat dust peons!

Just don't meet up with the 10 and 12 inch guys...

Last edited by dsertdog56; 02-26-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:45 PM
TheBigRedOne

We just went through that an HID 9" can be bought for around $100.. lol

The reading comprehension on this forum is honestly laughable at times.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:02 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

OMG...you can get a "cut rate" 9 inch for 100 bucks? Wouldn't that be like a 25 dollar 6 inch? I mean, compared to a 600 dollar 9 inch.

Can one tell the difference between the cheaper and expensive versions. I mean if a cheap 6 inch falls apart easy, wouldn't a cheap 9 inch? I'm just asking?

Man everyone can can have 9 inches now. If i were 20 years younger I'd be in line.

Don't kid yourselves...the 6 inch off road bulb was the rats azz back in the day. The "big names" in the business still build them. When the patents expired the chinese simply jumped on the bandwagon and built thier own. Even right down to the same amount of rubber shock bands at the lens mount.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:27 PM
DukesOfHazzard
Record Breaker
Old 02-26-2011, 10:14 PM
TheBigRedOne

Those are excellent lamps. Wayyy pricey though.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:56 AM
grox
Veteran

Who races at night, anyway? Only a j@ck@$$ would hook up a few thousand dollars worth of lights to his rig instead of waiting a few hours for the sun (albeit, not HID) to light up the sky.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:29 AM
TheBigRedOne

Originally Posted by grox
Who races at night, anyway? Only a j@ck@$$ would hook up a few thousand dollars worth of lights to his rig instead of waiting a few hours for the sun (albeit, not HID) to light up the sky.

Many, MANY races finish at night, or are exclusively held at night. It's a much greater test of driver skill and fatigue comes into play, especially once the sun has gone down. I've almost gotten into some very bad crashes at night simply because I was so tired from driving all afternoon. Eye fatigue is huge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK90Clec05I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4_Sj91YfcA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tBjE...eature=related

Old 02-27-2011, 11:30 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As with all things, buy what works for you and what you can afford. If a cheaper light works the way you need it too, then why spend the extra money? To do so would simply be foolish considering you could use those funds on some other part of your rig. If you need a longer lasting light, or one that uses less energy, or one that is brighter, AND you can afford the extra cost to achieve that need, then go for it. Certainly nothing stoping anyone from saving up their money and getting the equipment that works best for how they use their truck, even if it is very expensive. I'm certainly not going to be one of those arrogant ******** who tells everyone that they should only have the most expensive, best performing equipment no matter what. Get what works for you at the price you can or want to spend.

In my experience, people who work at shops that demand that customers only buy the best top of the line stuff for their cars/trucks are usually just annoying ****** who are just trying to rip off their customers so they buy unnessearily expensive equipment. At least they have a motive - make more money for the business. They don't get any of my business though. People who come on a public forum and do the same thing though are usually just wanna-be's who are trying to impress everyone, but in the end simply look foolish because they have no understanding of how things work in the real world and how you can budget build and make a very capable rig without breaking the bank on silly unnecessary purchases. I'm not naming any names or anything, just making an observation based on my experience. Simply my opinion.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:34 AM
TheBigRedOne

Originally Posted by Silver_Dodge

In my experience, people who work at shops that demand that customers only buy the best top of the line stuff for their cars/trucks are usually just annoying ****** who are just trying to rip off their customers so they buy unnessearily expensive equipment. At least they have a motive - make more money for the business. They don't get any of my business though. People who come on a public forum and do the same thing though are usually just wanna-be's who are trying to impress everyone, but in the end simply look foolish because they have no understanding of how things work in the real world and how you can budget build and make a very capable rig without breaking the bank on silly unnecessary purchases. I'm not naming any names or anything, just making an observation based on my experience. Simply my opinion.
Bull ****ing ****. That was a direct jab at me and you ****ing know it.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:46 AM
grox
Veteran

Well, if you are actually racing, then the cost is worth it, visibility could be life or death, just the same as a roll cage, a 5-point harness, proper helmet, fire extinguishers, and etc. But for nearly everybody, none of those things are crucial, and a regular seatbelt, regular lights, a regular cab, and an airbag are sufficient.

Quick Reply: affordable offroad lights