2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

affordable offroad lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 11:53 AM
TheBigRedOne
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol, my Integra has HID high beams. My nephew's Ranger that he putts around in with his High School friends has a pair of HID converted HID Hella 500's behind the grille. My Father's Buick has an 18W LED license plate frame for backing up, and HID's in the fog lamps aimed up for additional high beams.

HID's are a very very common modification for vehicles. Especially now that they are dirt cheap. You can have a pair of bulbs for $35 now.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:55 AM
grox
Veteran

Well, but the you also need special projectors or else you are just the guy blinding everyone else for your own better visibility. Sometimes the wiring needs to be upgraded as well, though I don't see why, since they pull fewer amps, HIDs could use a lower gauge harness anyway.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:57 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigRedOne
Bull ****ing ****. That was a direct jab at me and you ****ing know it.

Like I said, it was just my opinion based on the type of posts I see everyday on this and other forums. This topic is no different then what I see in exhaust system threads, lift/suspension threads, engine performance threads, etc.... There are those who understand that things can be built to perform the way they need them to perform, and at the budget they need them to be at. Then you have those that for whatever reason feel that only the best/most expensive will do. Either bacause money is no option for them, or they are trying to impress someone, or because they are just being a bag-o-douche. My comment was about this propensity in general because I see it everyday in all types of topics. You see it at dealerships and shops too. My comment was to reassure people that you don't need to listen to this kind of sillyness from anyone. Build it how you want to build it and at the budget you can afford. Period. Afterall, the title and purpose of this thread was about affordable offroad lights.

I guess if you think that what I said matches you in some way, then I guess you can say that my comment, in a round about way, was about you. But that also means that you would be admitting that all the things I said were true. Is that what you are saying? Otherwise, move on. Not everything is about you (ya I know, hard to believe).

Last edited by Silver_Dodge; 02-27-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:57 AM
TheBigRedOne

Originally Posted by grox
Well, but the you also need special projectors or else you are just the guy blinding everyone else for your own better visibility. Sometimes the wiring needs to be upgraded as well, though I don't see why, since they pull fewer amps, HIDs could use a lower gauge harness anyway.
Well, but in High beams and in off road use lamps that you typically don't use when driving down the street in traffic blinding anyone isn't an issue now is it?

The wiring sometimes needs to be improved because of flash current. However this usually only comes into play in older vehicles.

Originally Posted by Silver_Dodge

I guess if you think that what I said matches you in some way, then I guess you can say that my comment, in a round about way, was about you. But that also means that you would be admitting that all the things I said were true. Is that what you are saying?
I'm not admitting **** to you, because I have nothing to admit. You are using your position as a moderator to attempt to talk down to me, and I'm not going to have it. If you're going to insult me publicly, I'm going to do the same.

Moderators are supposed to moderate, not insult members. You're doing a terrible job representing this site.

And that is MY opinion.

Last edited by TheBigRedOne; 02-27-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:05 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Do those of you that mount your lights behind the grill notice a significant loss of beam beacuse of having to project through the grill? I've wanted to install a set of dedicated spot lights for off-raod use only, but want them a little more hidden and out of the way, but don't want them to lose their effectiveness by having to shine through the grill.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:10 PM
TheBigRedOne

There is no noticeable loss of light, the beam is however narrowed. Close together behind the grille is ideal for a pencil beam type lamp. Driving lamps should be spaced wider apart.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

There is no noticeable loss of light, the beam is however narrowed. Close together behind the grille is ideal for a pencil beam type lamp. Driving lamps should be spaced wider apart.
How much heat do the various lamps generate? Any danger of cooking the grill?

Old 02-27-2011, 12:17 PM
DukesOfHazzard
Record Breaker

The topic of the thread "affordable" what may be Affordable to some, might not be Affordable to others. So do what your "budget" allows OP .

Old 02-27-2011, 12:18 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Even though close would be better for my application, I'd probably space them anyway because I don't want them blocking my radiator and trans cooler, preventing air flow from getting where it needs to be.

.....And that is MY opinion.
Ok, thanks for your opinion.

Last edited by Silver_Dodge; 02-27-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:29 PM
TheBigRedOne

Originally Posted by HeyYou
How much heat do the various lamps generate? Any danger of cooking the grill?
I couldn't tell you about halogen. I've never put any behind a grille. HID's run far cooler then Halogen lamps, and are only about 100F to the touch. The grille is in no danger of burning up.

Quick Reply: affordable offroad lights