2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 09:31 AM
mr.mike
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all fuses and relays are good, that's why I'm stumped. unless a short went back to my pcm or other modules I'm completely dumbfounded (not hard to do lol). My check engine light came back on and i'm getting a p0500 code (speed sensor malfunction) which worries me because i just replaced them could something short them out? also when i found it running the heater worked and the windows worked. The fact that it shut itself down could something in that process have burned anything up. the way it shut down was more like it stalled then it kept trying to crank.

Last edited by mr.mike; 03-04-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:43 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,206 Likes on 2,958 Posts

Speed sensors are not that complicated. The passage of 'teeth' on a tone ring generates a current in the sensor. Faster you go, higher the frequency. It shouldn't short out. I wonder if it simply isn't getting the correct power feed?

Did a bit of digging. The one thing that most systems have in common here is WHERE THEY GET POWER. At the ignition switch, connector one, pin 5. Verify you are getting power there.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:57 AM
mr.mike

I've got continuity at all pins and in the connector in there specified key positions so I don't think there is anything there. If its not getting power would i get the p0500 code i assume it would but i want to be sure. also i keep getting mixed answers which sensor is it that feeds the speedo the one on the tranny or diff. i will have a buddy of mine check the power at pin 5 on sunday or tuesday he has a special tool for that.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:42 PM
Smashed-And-RAM
Professional

As far as I know the one that feeds the Speedo is the one on the diff, since when mine failed I wasn't getting any speed readings. I was getting a P0500 issue when the old sensor I had on the diff failed. It does throw the code when it's not getting the proper input from the sensor, since the wires I had coming off of the old sensor were pretty much ripped to shreds. Then the sensor I bought from Autozone before I started boycotting the place was dead in the box, maybe that happened to you? I checked the wires all the way up to the PCM and they were fine, but the sensor was toast, so I went to O'Reilly and bought a BWD sensor and now it's working perfectly fine.

I am not versed on the ABS system in this truck, so I can't help much there. Sorry. I know Ford P71s have a grey connector in the dash that allows you to reset the ABS computer. Maybe there is some way to reset that computer? If I get a chance today I'll call my friend who works at the Dodge Dealer and see what he says.

As I am sure you know, just be careful with the airbag system, I've had one deploy in my face on a Pontiac when I was replacing the Airbag computer, even with the battery disconnected. Not sure how it happened, but I don't want it to happen again.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:01 PM
mr.mike

thanks i'll test the sensor and see if thats it. although i still wonder if it has something to do with that loss of ignition run only airbag error i get when my friend hooks up his obdII reader. it's as if those systems aren't getting a signal to turn on once the truck is running.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:22 PM
caretaker79
Default abs lights

Let us know wha tyou find out. I bought a 98 last year from a friend and I have the same abs lights on the dash. Replaced both sensors and still have the lights. I have had the cruise control kick out while driving. I was told that the truck had been boosted and the column peeled. I wonder if it is the same thing you are having. When I had the comp code checked they told me it was an error code 720.

Enquiring minds would like to know.