2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Leaking Transmission Fluid near the transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 09:10 PM
Zertec
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Leaking Transmission Fluid near the transfer case

about three days ago I started hearing some squeaking. Happens only when I'm driving, not just sitting. Gets higher paced as I accelerate, slower when I slow down. Getting harder to shift from 2WD to 4WD. I got underneath, checked near the transfer case and saw transmission fluid (fresh and good color) all around the transfer case. Should I check anything else, or just top off the transfer case fluid level? Is it a gasket that I need to replace or apply sealant? How long would it take for a DIY?

Old 03-04-2011, 12:01 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,210 Likes on 2,961 Posts

Check both the trans, and t-case fluid level. Top off as needed. Monitor fluid levels there for a while, to see which one is actually losing the fluid. Take it from there.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:56 PM
KY BIGRAM
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chances are it may just be a leak at this point. From my experience, drop the front drive shaft and rebuild the CV or double u-joint( heard it called both. My truck had the squeak for a while, I though it was just a front joint until my T-case cracked. I was told this joint seazing up may have contributed to my busted T-case housing, sure enough it was rough. Got the rebuild kit from Advance Auto for a little over $20 and it fixed it. My case didnpt leak before it shattered but it is only used for offroad.

Check the joint first, chances are it is the squeek you hear.

Quick Reply: Leaking Transmission Fluid near the transfer case