2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Economical solution to cracked dash

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 09:15 AM
aggiejet
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
It's on the list. I'd rather pay good money for a quality dash top and only do it ONCE. Time is money, and I don't have the time to repeatedly perform some type of maintenance on the dash.

VW,

Are you referencing "the list" that ontimeanthony posted, the one from geno's? Did you paint it and how is the paint holding up? Did you use Mopar paint or something else. Any surprises on the install. thanks

I ordered a reproduction from sandkindustries this week. I will keep everyone posted on the install along with the heater core replacement.

Last edited by aggiejet; 03-11-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:20 AM
mep20151
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know a lot has been posted about the infamous cracking dashboards on the Ram pick-ups. I’ve been kind of half-heartedly looking for a replacement from salvage yards for a 2001 Ram 1500 4x4. But I saw there’s a new replacement dashboard (rather than just a cover) that’s guaranteed not to crack because it’s made from newer/better materials. One place I’ve seen it is Geno’s Garage for $329 (part # DRD8-1) … I’ve seen may more re-posts of this same part (just search for “Dodge dashboard DRD8-1” and you’ll find them)… I’ve even seen it referenced in this forum.
Other than the fact it only comes in black (I need gray) I was thinking of giving it a go. BUT – I’ve never seen any feedback from anyone that actually installed it.
Has anyone actually bought this a put it in?
Did it fit well?
Thanks for any feedback.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:40 AM
thetypezero
Rookie

I just took my dash apart and superglued and used epoxy to patch it lol. Economical. If it starts to fall apart again I'll fiberglass it and put it back together.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:43 AM
thexh20
Rookie

lol...beach towel

Old 04-14-2011, 01:52 PM
99dodge318
Record Breaker

WOW! ive never seen a good looking (not cracked) 2nd gen factory dash.here in texas every dodge has a cracked dash, ive even seen some 3rd gens just as bad.

i think the dash cracks so badly from the rapid change of temperature.
i can jump in my truck and the thermometer i have will say 115*,
start it drive to town with the ac and the thermometer will say 35*
stop go into the store, come back out and the thermometer will be close to 100* again. and you can here there dash creaking

Old 04-14-2011, 07:30 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine developed a small crack from one of the passenger side vents one winter, I'm assuming due to the fact that it was well below zero and I had the heat cranked up while I let it warm up.

Originally Posted by aggiejet
This is ridiculous that Mopar doesn't continue to provide a supply of reasonably priced dashes to replace the obviously defective ones out there. I have owned 4 chrysler/dodge vehicles in the last 15 years. i will NEVER buy Chrysler/Dodge again. I am trying to find a address of where to send the letter to the idiots running Chrysler.
No, its not. Thats like asking Dell, HP, or any other computer company to continue to manufacture parts for models that they built six or more years ago. They will supply parts for as long as warranties are good, usually, and then after all the extended warranties (or most) are up, they stop.

Every manufacturer has their issues. Learn Chrysler's, or buy another brand and get ready to learn theirs.

Last edited by jasonw; 04-14-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:34 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Mopar does continue to supply a stock or resonably priced dash tops. Along with most of the other parts. All of the Mopar parts that I have bought for my ELEVEN year old truck were made within 1 year of me buying them.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:29 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Ah, so Chrysler does do the unreasonable thing of keeping parts around for, by their definition, old vehicles. "Reasonable" has varying definitions depending on the person, but you can't get something as large as a complete dash for cheap and expect it to be good quality.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:05 AM
thexh20
Rookie

dodge ram's dashboard are famous for that? my truck got sum lil crack on the far right where the vent is..gonna do something abt that.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:11 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by thexh20
dodge ram's dashboard are famous for that?
Infamous. The $329 ABS piece (from Geno's, Auto Body Fillers USA, et al.) seems to be a good replacement though it only comes in black. Color matching paint isn't all that expensive, and if the dash never cracks again WTF.

Quick Reply: Economical solution to cracked dash