2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Economical solution to cracked dash

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 11:16 AM
aggiejet
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Economical solution to cracked dash

After weeks of searching the Internet and unable to find locally a junk yard with a replacement, I have pulled the trigger and ordered from directdodgeparts.com, a new OEM dash for $118 and $14 shipping. The dealership associated with the website is Neuwirth Chrysler Jeep Dodge in Wilminton NC. I have been assured the part is genuine OEM Mopar. After I get the dash, I will post the replacement proecess, to include a heater core replacement. I hope.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:24 PM
Andrew2500
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be watching this thread with great interest.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:51 PM
vinnys

WOW!!! Are you sure that is for the dash pad? I checked the site for mine (2000 Ram 3500) and it was around $400.00. Thats around the price for a cover. Maybe I miss read this, but make sure your getting what you need.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:17 AM
aggiejet
Professional
Angry

I regret to inform everyone that my previous post about finding a new OEM dash is not true. Right after I posted this thread, (jinxed myself) the dealer contacted me and told me my VIN didn't match the part I ordered. The short story is that Mopar doesn't make just the dash for the '98, and now you have to buy the entire instrument panel. So it's back to the drawing board trying to find a dash at a salvage yard or one of the aftermarket ones. I really don't want to just put a cap on it.

As a side note, I had my windshield replaced at an autobody shop last Friday, and I asked the guys there where they get dashes for their shop. He said he has been getting them from salvage, which would explain why I can't find one.

This is ridiculous that Mopar doesn't continue to provide a supply of reasonably priced dashes to replace the obviously defective ones out there. I have owned 4 chrysler/dodge vehicles in the last 15 years. i will NEVER buy Chrysler/Dodge again. I am trying to find a address of where to send the letter to the idiots running Chrysler.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:00 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

If the junkyard is out, the next economical solution is a beach towel :P (you can buy a gray towel lol... but I just used what I had at home).

I used to toss it up there to cover the cracks and holes before I replaced mine. After I replaced my dash pad, I still toss it up there during the summer to try to help protect the dash.

Next economical solution is to glue a dash cover on top.

second to last solution is to buy the dash pad off ebay or lmc or genos and have them painted to match the truck, and install.

Last is the expensive dealer dash, that may do the same thing your stock one did.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:45 PM
aggiejet
Professional

Exactly what did you do to repair your dash? When you say dash pad, I assume you are talking about a "rug" that lays on top of your cracked dash. Or were one of the lucky ducks that found a replacement dash at a salvage yard? Nice looking truck, btw. One of the best "lines" on a pickup in a long time, maybe best ever. But all this dash, heater core, plenum, etc is enough to make a guy wish he never bought one!

Old 03-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The most economical solution is to stop wasting time with original crappy dashes from a boneyard, and dash caps, which are nothing more than a band-aid.

Save your pennies and buy a quality reproduction. Spend once, cry once.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:32 PM
ontimeanthony
Rookie
Old 03-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Randy_W
Professional

Towel:
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html..._df&LNM=|B003Y Z2W5Y&CPNG=home&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=B003YZ2W5Y& ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001
I'd just use her hair.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy_W
I'd just use her hair.
Weave a new one? Probably stronger than the factory unit......

Quick Reply: Economical solution to cracked dash