2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lifters, Plenum Gasket, and Roller Rockers at the same time?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 11:41 PM
Smashed-And-RAM
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifters, Plenum Gasket, and Roller Rockers at the same time?

I saw in a another post someone said that I could replace the lifters, plenum gasket, and roller rockers all at the same time. How difficult is this to do, and do you all have any recommendations as to what parts/tools I will need? I know the plenum gasket would be from Hughes, but what about the lifters/roller rockers? I have been debating on a Hughes FI Air Gap, but I have no idea how difficult it is to install/etc. I've been an old school muscle guy most of my life, so all this new technology is confusing to me.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:52 PM
matty675
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its not difficult at all.

all you need is a torque wrench. remove the intake manifold, remove rocker arms from studs, remove push rods. remove lifter yoke (3 bolts), remove lifter retainers, remove lifters.

the airgap and m1 are both direct bolt-ons and are just as easy as reinstalling the keg. both will, however; run about $600 plus $350 for roller rockers and $160 for lifters

Old 03-04-2011, 11:55 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ya airgap is easy to install ,just dont break off a bolt in the head like i did , it set me back a couple days to fix that problem

Old 03-04-2011, 11:55 PM
Smashed-And-RAM
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm ... I better replace this aging trans before doing all of that, lol. The plenum gasket doesn't look like it's leaking, but I am going to change it anyways for my sanity, lol.

How easy it is to break the bolts off into the head? I've had my fair share of yanking and breaking bolts on the 70 Challenger R/T ... broke a few exhaust manifold bolts while installing headers, and many, many other bolts.

Last edited by Smashed-And-RAM; 03-05-2011 at 12:00 AM.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:17 PM
Mike Sal
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a used '09 that had been a dodge dealer's shop truck w/ 89k miles on it (mopar oil & filters it's whole life). 6 weeks later I had a bad lifter / cam. Very disappointing. It's the last dodge I'll own....
Mike Sal

Old 08-03-2019, 06:41 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

8 year old thread!

Quick Reply: Lifters, Plenum Gasket, and Roller Rockers at the same time?