2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My DOR track bar install

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 08:37 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default My DOR track bar install

I would like to preface that mentioning Dodge Off Road can stir some emotions with in this community. I am just trying to give my honest opinion on this particular part. The truck is a 1999 2500 4wd, auto, ext cab shorbox, 8.0l v10, with an old skyjacker softride 4.5" lift.

Install: Cutting out the old skyjacker bracket was the hardest part. The DOR part of the install was easy. Tip, weld the bracket on in at least a couple spots (marked optional in the directions). Good instructions The alignment couldn't be completed with it just bolted in and I have to go back to have it finished. 4/5

Quality of product: The quality the product was superb. Very heavy duty and intuitive. The bracket moves the track bar forward so it clears the diff and runs more parallel to the drag link. Now having a truck with an older sagging 4.5" lift I maxed out the adjustment on the bar (bar is for 4-8" lifts) but still decent. I will know once the alignment is done how close to center it is. My only gripe is on the Johnny joint end it needsf a 90 degree grease zerk, the straight zerk isn't accessible once assembled. 4.5/5

Longevity: I will hopefully remember to update this but my premium moog track bar only lasted 3000 miles. ?/5

Customer service: I ordered this May 22nd, I received it July 23rd, almost exactly 2 months later. I knew going into this there would be a wait from reading about others experience. When I contacted them around 5 weeks, the one time I did contact them, they did give me an accurate estimate on time. Everything was packaged well. 3/5

Performance: This is hard to tell yet but my truck had a violent shake (see bottom of post about shake) when you hit the brakes above 30mph with a lot of steering wheel play. I also had lots of bump steer. All this was mostly eliminated, the play is minimal but the shake is still persisting however much milder now (the stuff in my cup holders is now safe). The bump steer is there if I really start to flex the front end, not just on a bad road like it was. Rating may change once I get to the bottom of the shake 4/5.

*****I know what everyone is thinking, well that just a warped rotor, its not. First thing I did to the truck was a new stabilizer, didn't do much. I did brand new rotors, pads, and hubs. This did nothing for the shake, when the MOOG track bar was new that helped, I had all new MOOG steering linkages and ball joints at the same time. Then it came back shortly. When I put my Red head steering box in that helped but it came back in a few hundred miles again. No hint of death wobble just driving. All these components have about 3000 miles on them except the stabilizer, that's more like 6000 miles. I'm stumped and pissed at this point that I can't figure this out. I haven't done drums or shoes in the rear yet but I did do the 30mm cylinder upgrade when I did the front brakes. Any insight on this is appreciated.

Old 07-28-2019, 10:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,282 Likes on 3,029 Posts

Do you feel the shake thru the seat, or the steering wheel?

Old 07-28-2019, 11:25 PM
adukart
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Do you feel the shake thru the seat, or the steering wheel?
The whole truck, literally could get 2in of bounce in the cup holders at its worst. So I was stewing on this and decided to isolate the front from the rear by means of unhooking the rear proportioning valve. When I got the truck it was dangling there without the rod connecting it to the axle so I zip tied it up. Well I cut the ties and took it for a drive and it is significantly better, almost nonexistent but still very slightly. So now I have to figure out what's causing the rear end to hop. I have a sneaking suspicion its a combination of wore out leaf spring bushings, skyjacker soft ride leaf springs, and the 4" factory block.

Any ideas or anyone else with this problem?

Old 07-29-2019, 08:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,282 Likes on 3,029 Posts

That variable valve on the rear brakes only lasted a year or two. More trouble than it was worth. Think I would inspect the rear brakes, when my 96 was doing that kind of think, it was because the rear shoes/drums were shot..... Of course, it sounded absolutely terrible when I stepped on the brakes as well...... New shoes/drums, and the problem went away.

Old 07-29-2019, 09:59 PM
adukart
Record Breaker

When I was in there upgrading the cylinders the shoes looked good and the drums were a little worn, had to hammer them off due to having a slight ridge wore in. I tried the ebrake and it was definitely noticeable, more so then with the proportioning valve off. I have a good discount at the local NAPA through work, I might as well use it.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:50 PM
adukart
Record Breaker

Did shoes and drums today, seems to have cured it so far. I will update if that changes.

Old 08-03-2019, 07:11 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I hope that fixed it!

Quick Reply: My DOR track bar install