2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 01:39 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starting Problems

hey guys, im having some starting issues with my truck. it only happens when it is damp out or is raining. my truck wont start what so ever. it will turn over just fine, but wont fire. it did it to me yesterday and i sprayed the wires and distributor with wd-40 and it started up hesitantly. it did it again today, so i sprayed the wires with wd-40 again and nothing. could i need a tune-up? if so what do you suggest for wires? im going with stock champs for plugs, and getting the cap and rotor with the brass terminals. any help is appreciated!!

the wires, cap, and rotor have about ~20k miles on them, but they are the cheapies from advance.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,387 Likes on 3,127 Posts

That's a good place to start. No idea on what wires though..... just... good quality.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:51 PM
ChristheRED
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could also have something to do with the O2 sensor/catalytic. Try pulling the sensor out of the exhaust reconnect the wiring then give it try. If it fires then there may be an issue with the catalytic converter being clogged.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:19 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChristheRED
Could also have something to do with the O2 sensor/catalytic. Try pulling the sensor out of the exhaust reconnect the wiring then give it try. If it fires then there may be an issue with the catalytic converter being clogged.
o2 sensors are both brand new. truck runs/starts fine when the weather is dry and sunny, or cloudy. but when its damp or rainy the truck wont start. it has nothing to do with the cat, i know that for a fact. the truck fired right up as soon as i put wd-40 on the wires yesterday. luckily the sun just came out, so hopefully the truck will start later, or tomorrow. im going to do the wires next week when i have the extra money.

Quick Reply: Starting Problems