2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sluggish low end performace and terrible gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 07:38 PM
hbarker
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best a luck ..
I appear to also have a blown plentum gasket I will have to eventually replace. Curious to see if thats where my oils been going. looked down carb and its nasty black, The gasket under the filter housing was also rotton.

Whats the average shop charge to do this ?,

Old 03-16-2011, 09:26 PM
nolazach
Veteran

Originally Posted by EndIsNear
Magnaflow has a high flow cat. You can get it at summitracing.com. I think the part number is 94004 or something. Its about $80
You could probably sell your old cat too, cat recyclers seem to be paying good money for them to recycle the platinum...

Old 03-16-2011, 09:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

Originally Posted by hbarker
Best a luck ..
I appear to also have a blown plentum gasket I will have to eventually replace. Curious to see if thats where my oils been going. looked down carb and its nasty black, The gasket under the filter housing was also rotton.

Whats the average shop charge to do this ?,
Intake R&R runs about six hours book time..... so, multiply that by whatever the labor rate is, plus another hundred bucks or so for parts/oil change..... heck of a lot cheaper if you can do it yourself.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:46 PM
hbarker
Professional

right on the money .. 450 labor what they quoted me,, OUCH !

Old 03-18-2011, 11:31 AM
MACDOGGISME

I have purchased the Hughes Plenum repair kit. It should arrive today UPS. I'll install on Saturday and report back to let you know how difficult the repair is.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:47 PM
TLars
Rookie

When you say pull the O2 sensor... Are you saying I can take it out and drive to see if there's a difference? No harm to engine or anything? Just want to confirm.

I just did plenum, kegger and throttle body mod, timing set, waterpump, belts, hoses, tune up. It pulls harder at higher rpms but low end still bogs! Argh!

I have new valve cover pcv - I was going to wait until rockers are done but sounds like I should do now?

Old 03-18-2011, 01:54 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EndIsNear
Magnaflow has a high flow cat. You can get it at summitracing.com. I think the part number is 94004 or something. Its about $80
He has a Cali truck (he's from Modesto, CA) The cat you'll need is Magnaflo #45037 @ $230

Old 03-21-2011, 12:38 PM
MACDOGGISME

ENDISNEAR, How much are looking to sell the remote fuel filter for, and why are you selling it?

To all, I have removed the intake, and found four blown points in the plenum gasket. There was also a great deal of oil pooling inside the intake. I have attached a photo of this. Also, I have a broken bolt on the first bolt on the drivers side head. Not good. I put the project on hold until tonight. I needed to come into work to grab the correct type of bolt extractor (easy out) and tap. I'll let you know how the rest goes. A big tip to guys looking to do this. Take the time to pull the water pump off, fan shroud and fan. If you're a big guy like me you can then climb into the span between the radiator and your engine to clean all of the intake gasket material off. This is much better than leaning your way into the engine compartment for hours on end.

Attached Thumbnails Sluggish low end performace and terrible gas mileage-dsc03175.jpg   Sluggish low end performace and terrible gas mileage-dsc03180.jpg  
Old 03-21-2011, 12:44 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by MACDOGGISME
ENDISNEAR, How much are looking to sell the remote fuel filter for, and why are you selling it?

To all, I have removed the intake, and found four blown points in the plenum gasket. There was also a great deal of oil pooling inside the intake. I have attached a photo of this. Also, I have a broken bolt on the first bolt on the drivers side head. Not good. I put the project on hold until tonight. I needed to come into work to grab the correct type of bolt extractor (easy out) and tap. I'll let you know how the rest goes. A big tip to guys looking to do this. Take the time to pull the water pump off, fan shroud and fan. If you're a big guy like me you can then climb into the span between the radiator and your engine to clean all of the intake gasket material off. This is much better than leaning your way into the engine compartment for hours on end.
I didnt know I was selling a remote filter I dont have....lol

Old 03-21-2011, 02:01 PM
MACDOGGISME

Sorry buddy. That was to be J415. I read it wrong. Have a good one!

Quick Reply: Sluggish low end performace and terrible gas mileage