2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny Problems???

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 02:29 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that's a long haul in reverse... you may want to take snowsurfer with you.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:41 PM
Mad_Scientist
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drewactual
that's a long haul in reverse... you may want to take snowsurfer with you.

Once again

In all seriousness though, thats a damn good price for a JY tranny. We had to pay $300 when my good friend's sister's tranny went out (she drove a 98).

Why do most of the people I know drive rams?

Old 03-11-2011, 06:36 PM
Cnewt
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope to go Monday, and I wont be going in reverse, wife has a blazer that I can use. Does anyone know if a 98 or newer will work in my 97? Or how new I can go?

Old 03-11-2011, 06:49 PM
Mad_Scientist
Captain

Originally Posted by Cnewt
I hope to go Monday, and I wont be going in reverse, wife has a blazer that I can use. Does anyone know if a 98 or newer will work in my 97? Or how new I can go?

In short: no, a 98 will not work beacuse dodge did funny things with the electrical hookups. 97-98 was a transitional year when many things changed.

However, if you can find one from very early 98 (i.e. one that was marketed as a 98, but was produced in 97), it may have the same connections. 98and1/2 and up would give you problems though

Old 03-12-2011, 12:09 AM
Cnewt
Amateur

Thanks a lot Mad, I think you answered my question. I was hoping to go for a 99 or 2000 model year, but I don't want to be greedy and go too new, I will look for hopefully a low mileage 97 that was junked early, I will keep my fingers crossed. If it doesn't rain, I am going Monday. I will let y'all know if I get her fixed. I have drove this rig for 11 years and still love it, it still has the faded yellow dodgeforum.com sticker on the back window from about 4 years ago.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:49 PM
Cnewt
Amateur

Sorry for taking so long. I drove down to get the tranny they said they had. A 2 hr plus drive to find no trans in any of the 3 rams they had. So I am still dead in the water, well not completely dead, I have reverse, in all 4 gears, except 1st, which is now also the same as park.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Rebuild yours yourself?

Old 03-24-2011, 09:50 PM
Cnewt
Amateur

I have considered that, but I have never torn into an auto trans. I don't have anyone near me that I can call for help if I run into problems. I have looked at the kits, but all those parts seem overwhelming. And what if I have major gears broken? Because before if went completely out, it would act like it was llocking up and the truck wouldn't roll unless I rocked it back and forth. What are the chances of me getting in there and finding broken pieces? Where do I find those? And is there a manual I can get to walk me through it?

Old 03-24-2011, 11:19 PM
Mad_Scientist
Captain

Originally Posted by Cnewt
I have considered that, but I have never torn into an auto trans. I don't have anyone near me that I can call for help if I run into problems. I have looked at the kits, but all those parts seem overwhelming. And what if I have major gears broken? Because before if went completely out, it would act like it was llocking up and the truck wouldn't roll unless I rocked it back and forth. What are the chances of me getting in there and finding broken pieces? Where do I find those? And is there a manual I can get to walk me through it?
Stumbled upon this way back when my tranny was giving me problems:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/4...torial-911009/

Not anything on tear-down, but it gives alot of good info on rebuild (and i suppose you could reverse order during tear-down)

Edit: oh, and even though its a jeep tranny, it's still a 46re, so it should be the same procedure.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

There are many sources for hard parts that you might end up needing. Wittrans being one...... There are even upgrades you can do, since you are going to be in there anyway...... just depends on what you want, and how much you want to spend.

Check out some of the links in J415's transmission thread in the FAQ section, there are links to step by step rebuilds in there.

It IS a daunting task, there are a LOT of pieces/parts to play with, but..... doing it yourself will save you some bucks on labor, and you will know EXACTLY what you have in your trans.

Quick Reply: Tranny Problems???