2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny Problems???

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 08:52 AM
Cnewt
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Problems???

I have a 1997 Ram 2x4 318 V-8. I have had an ignition spark issue, but I fixed that when I found a broken wire under the windshield. Now it runs great.....but....now when I drive it down the road, it suddenly tries to stop, like is is a manual is a higher gear,(it is an automatic), but it is more like something is hol;ding it back like a brake pedal is being held down, then it just breaks free and rolls freely again, but only for a 100 ft or so and does it all over again, almost like something is warped in the drive train, but I cant tell if it is trans, or rear end. When it does it, if i let off the gas, it will stop dead in its tracks. But if i keep it moving, like i did last night, i was able to make it home. I checked tranny fluid, looks like it was at proper level, i will check again today where lighting is better, but the fluid was not dark, and didnt have a burnt smell.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:30 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Getting any codes?

I seem to remember reading somewhere about a failure mode for the trans where it tries to hit two gears at once..... Might just be from a bad dream somewhere....... Does it make any rude noises when the condition occurs? Get any CEL?

Welcome to DF.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:23 AM
Cnewt
Amateur

Thanks foor quick reply, no weird noises at all, and no codes so far.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:35 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Does the engine sound any different when the problem crops up?

Trying to decide if this is a trans problem, or an engine problem. Any clues in that direction?

Old 03-08-2011, 12:52 PM
Cnewt
Amateur

no the engine seems to run fine, it just act like you are riding along and jamming on the brakes while NOT getting off gas. And if I let it come to a complete stop, you can't push the truck back or forward in neutral or in gear untill you get in and rock it back and forth with the gas.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Pull your rear tires, and have a look at the back brakes........ I think something broke.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Cnewt
Amateur

Ok will do that, and get back on here I have the rear end off ground now, and it does it still with no noises. Off to remove wheels now.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:44 PM
Cnewt
Amateur
Angry

Nothing seems to be wrong withe the brakes on either side under drums. It semms like it wants to lock up when the tranny wants to go into second. If I pull the shifer all the way down to first, it will spin and rev all the way up freely, but if I go to drive, it winds out and stops turning for a second then starts spinning again. If any ideas please I need help. I am hoping their is a solenoid or sensor or fluid change that can help, but I am fearing the worst, I just can't afford a new tranny right now.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

1-2, and 2-3 shifts are hydraulically controlled. PCM modulates pressure via governor pressure sensor and solenoid to control shift points there. 4th, and TCC are controlled via solenoids directly.

It almost sounds like your trans is trying to hit two gears at once? If that is indeed the case, that is beyond my limited knowledge......

Old 03-09-2011, 04:19 PM
Cnewt
Amateur

Thank you. Another site, not cheating on dodgeforum, suggested that binding issues were a rear diff problem. So any more ideas would greatly be appreciated. I have been a member on this site for a while, I just look new because I couldn't get my pw to work.

Quick Reply: Tranny Problems???