2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1996 1500 ABS & Brake lights on after installing aftermarket stereo

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 06:06 PM
finnyfin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 1500 ABS & Brake lights on after installing aftermarket stereo

Hey everyone, I have a 1996 Dodge RAM 1500 2WD Reg Cab. I purchased and installed an aftermarket stereo yesterday and installed it, then drove to Advanced to buy and install a turn signal bulb. My brakes worked fine on the trip there, but after I replaced the turn signal bulb and fired my truck up, the ABS & Brake lights were on and my brake peddle was soft. I am not sure if this has anything to do with the installation of the stereo, but after looking through the manual, it did mention that high frequency radios can interfere with the ABS system. Any ideas on what the problem may be?

Old 03-08-2011, 07:58 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

You probably just have RWAL, so, no motor controller for the interference to... erm.... interfere... with.

if the pedal went soft, check the rear brake line above the gas tank, they are famous for rusting out, and breaking there. (and would account for all of your symptoms.)

Old 03-09-2011, 12:32 PM
finnyfin

so you think it is simply coincidence that it happened almost immediately after installing a stereo? i will look into the brake line and see if it has broken, other than that, i see that wheel sensor is also a common issue with these symptoms, but my speedometer is working fine. im was thinking i may have blown a fuse because i actually didnt disconnect the battery when i installed the stereo. i am also running the grounds (there are two, one for the amp and one for the stereo) to the mounting bracket screws because they aren't long enough to attach to anything else, and i currently don't have a screw to fit in the stereo... not sure if this could be the problem or not

Old 03-09-2011, 12:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

VSS signal doesn't come from the rear speed sensor on the older trucks, that started in 98, or 99. Yeah, I think it is entirely coincidental.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:25 PM
finnyfin

oh ok well thats good to know thanks for your responses. how easily accessible is the brake line you are speaking of?

Old 03-09-2011, 01:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Impossible.

It runs above the gas tank. Just check for signs of a brake fluid leak along the rear line. Runs pretty much parrallel to the frame on the drivers side. (might even be IN the frame.....) If you find that it is indeed blown, just cut if off at both ends, and run some new line. Don't even bother with removing the old one. Use flare fittings to couple the lines. do NOT use compression fittings...... unsafe... not to mention not legal....

Old 03-09-2011, 01:34 PM
finnyfin

ok thanks i am going to check into this right now. as far as brake line is concerned, any recommendations?

Old 03-09-2011, 01:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I just use whatever they have on the rack that is the right size. I hand bend 'em, and have my very own flaring tools. Those have come in handy on more than one occasion.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:54 PM
loneriderty
Rookie

i'm not tring to be a dick, but have you looked at all your fuses. exspecially your brake light fuse. my truck did something similar and it was just a fuse.i also have the 1996 ext. cab 2wd and my abs is rwal. hey you could be right i've never had it happen but a friend of mine has

Quick Reply: 1996 1500 ABS & Brake lights on after installing aftermarket stereo