2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

P1281 problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 05:12 PM
scme
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1281 problems

Hello, I received the P1281 code on my 02 dakota V6. I replaced the t-stat with a 195 temp fail safe, the code returned. I replaced the coolant temp sensor again the code came back. I haven't flushed the system in sometime which I dont think that would could the returning code but... I received info from a mechanic to change the fan clutch. Thanks to this great site; the downloaded Service Manual tells me to check for a free spinning fan. The fan appears to have good drag and at best spins once or twice. At this point, I'm stuck.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:21 PM
Mad_Scientist
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ECT could have a short somewhere: If its partially or fully grounding out it will send bad info to the pcm making it think that its colder than it actually is.

This happened to me before, and all I did was wiggle the ect pigtail (and the wires to it) around a bit, then seated it firmly back onto the sensor. Problem solved.

Fan clutch could also be to blame, if it is stuck "on" (the viscous fluid conducive to added centrifugal force is stuck at the edges of the disc). It would still spin freely in this situation, so the "spin test" isn't sufficient.

EDIT: Wait, you have an 02? Someone will correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe your truck has an e-fan, which doesnt have a fan clutch at all. There is a relay which could be stuck on, but i believe that would throw another code.

Last edited by Mad_Scientist; 03-09-2011 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

What does your gauge on the dash say engine temp is? How does your heater work?

Old 03-09-2011, 07:46 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i would replace the t-stat again with a Stant Super-stat for about $10-12. i think the fail-safe's are complete garbage.

Quick Reply: P1281 problems