2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

which lift kit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 03:08 PM
simple jack
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which lift kit?

im looking into getting a 5" suspension lift put on my truck, but there are so many brands out there. what is a good brand to get? rough country, sky jacker, superlift, etc?

Old 03-11-2011, 03:08 PM
simple jack
Rookie

its for a 2000 dodge ram 1500. don't know if that matters much

Old 03-11-2011, 04:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,216 Likes on 2,967 Posts

They are all about the same..... some are more complete than others. None are exactly inexpensive..... Check out Top guns customs for a bunch of different manufacturers, in the same spot. Summit Racing as well.

Try and get one with add a leafs, or, new springs for the rear, avoid blocks like the plague.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:28 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how much u want to spend?

Old 03-12-2011, 08:31 PM
simple jack
Rookie

well not a crazy amount of money. i was told if i want to put 35" on my truck i could get away with a 3" lift. i do want a suspension lift for sure. i don't want anything (if possible) that will cause other thangs to mess up i.e. steering, bearings etc. if at all possible. i will be putting 33's on there soon, eventually i would like 35's. i know i will never get great gas mileage so that is not a concern. it WILL NOT BE SHORT LIKE IT WAS WHEN I GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-12-2011, 08:41 PM
FireDodge
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It also depends on what you intend to use the truck for. If you intend to be a serious offroader, then the 5" might be better for you. If you are going to be driving in mostly urban areas and using it as a daily driver, then you might want the 3" lift.

My truck is a mostly daily driver, but I'm going to get the 5" because I'm usuing my motorcycle for summer and use the truck for fun.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:48 PM
simple jack
Rookie

yeah mostly urban. got a motorcycle too that i plan on using as much as possible. especially gas being so much. 10 mpg vs 35 mpg.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:30 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

If I was going to buy a complete bolt on suspension for my truck (or my last 2nd gen half ton for that matter) I think I would be going with the BDS long arm kit with rear springs. Full, lifetime no questions asked warranty and beefy components.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:46 PM
TheBigRedOne

Originally Posted by FireDodge
It also depends on what you intend to use the truck for. If you intend to be a serious offroader, then the 5" might be better for you. If you are going to be driving in mostly urban areas and using it as a daily driver, then you might want the 3" lift.
That doesn't even make sense. Lift does not equal off road capability. Ground clearance is dictated by tire size, not lift. Your axles and other vital suspension components still hang down low. The reason to lift is to clear a larger tire. A 4x2 Ram with a only 1.5 inch spacer in the front will clear a 33x12.5. Why lift so much more when it is completely unnecessary?

Old 03-15-2011, 03:39 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, a taller lift may not give you greater ground clearance per say (though it does allow you to run taller tires which do give you more ground clearance), but it does have some other advantages worth considering.

-It can increase the amount of flex you have (depending on the lift design and the tire size you run). The better you can flex, the more likely you will be able to keep traction on the ground rather then tires in the air.
-A taller lift can improve your approach and departure angles if you are not wanting to modify the front and rear bumpers.
-Higher lifts improve a vehicles ability to cross deep water or mud situations.

So ground clearance is only one factor when it comes to deciding how much lift to do.
There are of course disadvantages with going to a taller lift too. Higher center of gravity for one.

Last edited by Silver_Dodge; 03-15-2011 at 03:42 PM.

Quick Reply: which lift kit?