2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

well it has happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 02:49 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dr. Evil's are highly regarded too.. not so much as PATC Mega-Vipers, but they are up there... and they are $1800..

there are a couple places on eBay, one in particular that I think was out of Colorado that has a pretty solid tranny for $1k, but requires a core and doesn't come with a TQ.. You can get the TQ of your choice from them for an additional $200.. They ship you the tranny in a reusable crate intended for you to use on return..

keep lookin' dude.. eBay is full of them.. there are actually replacement trannies for as low as $800- but they are stock replicas of what you have now, and that may or may not be a good thing.. Most of these guys just use eBay as a means to advertise more than anything, and that is pretty slick if you ask me.. If you find a shop- call them.. that is where you can start negotiating and getting a good feel for the product, their knowledge, and a great price.

I'm monitoring my tranny closely- I know it's coming.. I haven't had any ill effects yet, but I'm preparing in the same way I just explained.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:28 PM
mrbubblemaker
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Truedge
Man!! That sucks for you. But I still think I would have gone with the viper from ptac. at 2300 and install at 4-500 just to be sure that you'll never have a problem again.

I hope everything works out for you.
Were do you find this viper transfer?

Old 03-12-2011, 08:32 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by mrbubblemaker
Were do you find this viper transfer?
Here http://www.transmissioncenter.net/dodge.htm.

Dave

Old 03-12-2011, 08:33 PM
mrbubblemaker
Professional

Originally Posted by Truedge
Man!! That sucks for you. But I still think I would have gone with the viper from ptac. at 2300 and install at 4-500 just to be sure that you'll never have a problem again.

I hope everything works out for you.
What is this viper trans?

Old 03-12-2011, 08:36 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The general consensus on using the diesel's 5.0 second band apply lever on a 46re for a gasser is not to do it. This, plus the sketchy "other secrets Dr. Evil will not divulge" is enough to get me to steer clear of them.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:38 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I believe PATC is at www.transmissioncenter.net

I can never remember the exact url, I always end up googling it.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:40 PM
drewactual
Champion

PATC makes the best 46re trannies to be had.. they make a ton of trannies in general, but the 46RE from them can't be beat..

they name the models of the 46re's dependent on upgrades.. there is the viper, and the mega-viper- and there is a third but I can't recall the name.. viper, in this case, has nothing to do with a bad *** v10 engine..

yo- one thing to consider if thinking about a mega-viper, or any other PATC- they don't require your core back.. If you're comfortable rebuilding a tranny- you can swap them and rebuild yours at your leisure, and sell it recouping some of your loss.. I bet you could sell it for $500-$1k, and knock that off the price of the PATC.. Just a thought.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:42 PM
drewactual
Champion

aim4, you're a ninja.. you beat me to it!

I didn't know about the apply lever, but I have heard grumblings about the 'secret ingredients' that worry folks.. And, you're right.. It would be like trying to buy a car and being told by the salesman "it's a secret"..

Old 03-13-2011, 10:51 AM
BIGBIRD85
Veteran

for around $800 i can bulid a mega-viper tranny with the help of PATC. i think that will be the route ill go. it has been a week and i miss my truck!

Old 03-16-2011, 07:21 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

hey bigbird, since you're in south ga, you're within trailer distance of Charleston, SC. Call formerly active forum member MonteC.

i tried emailing him awhile back just to check on him, but got no response. he left the forum very suddenly, so i don't know if he's ok or not. i have not tried to call. i'm sure he could arrange a trailer or hauler to come get your truck for a reasonable price.

Griffin Transmission
Robert Griffin 843-276-0554
Quality work at a fair price
GriffinTransmission@gmail.com

4543 Rivers Ave
Charleston, SC 29405
Directly across from Keystone
Inside PT's Transmission Parts

Quick Reply: well it has happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!