2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

best and cheapest way to do 3inch lift on 2wd 1500

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 02:27 AM
awramit
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I never said it was pointless to lift a 2WD I said it was pointless to offroad a 2WD. I have mine lifted 3" right now and I am working on putting on a 3" body lift right now (well on hold for the moment due to hurting my hand working on the truck lol) but will be back to work on it witha 2nd guy next week. I love the look of a lifted truck, 2WD or 4X4

Old 03-30-2011, 08:05 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by redheadhunter21
Real trucks dont need 4wd, if you need 4x4 its usually because the driver is inadequate and f^cks up, but its always nice to have the safety factor

And I can go places with my truck your 4x4 wont make it
Such as? I'd love to here an example please.

Also, your generalization about 4wd's is hilarious. There are absolutly situations where trucks NEED 4wd, and it has nothing to do with the drivers adequacies.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:33 AM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have cut across many grass fields/prairies where my truck being a tad lighter has kept me from sinking while a friends 4x4 sunk.

You usually dont need 4x4, a couple exceptions would be a trail/rock crawler/mud truck.

Alot of people say cause they live on a farm they need 4x4, but a decent set of tires and your good, never seen a reason other than fun to drive through the middle of the field, and when that time comes your going in a tractor.

And real trucks are only judged by what you believe a truck is to be used for and how to grade it. Pretty every tow rig is 2wd, because it can tow more/cheaper/easier to maintain/more payload/rides better/faster.

and about 90% of the people that I have seen stuck is due to there own mistakes.

Was kinda a off the wall comment to another off the wall post, but there you go, now granted I wouldnt mind having a 4x4 for when I do mess up

Old 03-30-2011, 11:39 AM
TheBigRedOne

The 4x4 vs 4x2 argument is pointless. Anyone touting that a 4x4 is "more useful" then a 2WD truck is trolling. Period.

Are there situations where 4 wheel drive comes in handy? Absolutely. However for 99% of us those situations are few and very far between. Also, if you routinely negotiate terrain where 4 wheel drive is absolutley essential, you are using the wrong vehicle for that job. 4WD is only in trucks to get you out of trouble if you get in over your head. And even with it, that's not a guarantee.

It also depends on where you live. I live near the desert, which is where I off road exclusively. Out there if you get stuck, anything short of a tracked vehicle would be stuck as well. That's how rapidly the terrain varies.

A 2WD truck with a locked rear end is just as usable as an open Differential or slipdiff 4x4. 2WD on the same plane is far more useful then 1-1.25 wheels turning in one plane, and one on another.

That's just my opinion, which I base off of a number of years racing and building everything from weekend warriors to race vehicles.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:41 AM
TheBigRedOne

Originally Posted by Silver_Dodge
Such as? I'd love to here an example please.

Also, your generalization about 4wd's is hilarious. There are absolutly situations where trucks NEED 4wd, and it has nothing to do with the drivers adequacies.
You only think they're hilarious because you don't agree with them. Others have made similar statements before about 2WD trucks, yet you don't come to the defense.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:55 AM
dodgeram07
Champion

Originally Posted by awramit
I have mine lifted 3" right now

3" rear blocks and 3" front spring spacers

are you still running stock c-arms?

Old 03-30-2011, 12:50 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigRedOne
You only think they're hilarious because you don't agree with them. Others have made similar statements before about 2WD trucks, yet you don't come to the defense.
No, I think they are hilarious because they are hilarious (most generalizations are). I'm not a 4wd snob. I own one, but I rarely use 4wd in actuality, and I wheel my truck a lot during the winter and hunting in the fall. I get everywhere I need in 2wd 95% of the time. I grew up on a ranch, and all we ever had was 2wd farm trucks. If it got stuck, a 4wd probably would have been stuck right next to it. That's when we'd go get that W9 to pull out the stuck pickup.

I think if you look back at my posts on DF, I've been pretty clear that every pickup can be and should be build to do the job it is needed for - that means 2wd and 4wd. I completely agree that 2wd's perform better in certain sitations, and 4wd perform better in other situations. What's your excuse though? If anyone is one sided on the topic of 2wd and 4wd, it is you time and time again (including right here in this thread). So kinda hypocritical of you to whine to me about my comment on 4wd's, don't you think. Unless you are asking me to come to your defense? lol

Last edited by Silver_Dodge; 03-30-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:12 PM
99dodge318
Record Breaker

i wheel in 2wd all the time,and rarely only go to 4 hi when im in really sticky situations, 4lo ive only used to pull tree stumps and boulders where you need the extra torque hitting the ground

as far as maintenance goes on a 4x4, you have twice as many u-joints to break and replace, you have a t-case to maintain, extra drive shaft to go out, live front axle, and alot of extra weight!

and have you ever seen a 2wd truck trying to leave a boat ramp? hilarious if your vehicle is a good distance away! lol

but really each vehicle has its pros and cons... that why theres an option between the two on each build sheet!
and that why you bought what you bought

Last edited by 99dodge318; 03-30-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:21 PM
TheBigRedOne

Originally Posted by 99dodge318
and have you ever seen a 2wd truck trying to leave a boat ramp? hilarious if your vehicle is a good distance away! lol
I used to do it all the time. No problems at all.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:50 PM
newman1367
Veteran

I have an example where a 2 wd drive is better than mine. A PARKING GARAGE !! I can't fit into one to save my life.

Quick Reply: best and cheapest way to do 3inch lift on 2wd 1500