2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

little black box under the hood??

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 01:01 AM
joeyd208
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default little black box under the hood??

can anyone tell me what the little black box is under the hood on the driver side is? its bolted to the wheel well it has a mopar sign or something on it mine is unplugged i know that it has SOMETHING to do with the head lights because when i plug it in my brights turn on and and they wont turn off, when its unplugged my lights work fine but when i flash my brights i dont get the bright signal inside the cab then if i get out plug it in with my lights already on normal the bright signal turns on then when i flash to the brights both the dim and brights turn on and if i turn the truck off wit it still plugged in the and push my lights to off they stay on and wont turn off unless i unplug that box? and also another question when i engage my 4WD my 4WD light does not turn on but the 4WD still works? i checked the plug that goes into the axle and its plugged in so wondering if maybe the box has something to do with that also, so can anyone tell me what that little box is called and what is it used for? my truck is a 95 ram 1500 ext cab 4wd 5.2 automatic

Old 03-16-2011, 06:38 AM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

There are about 4 black boxes on the driver's side. The battery, ABS module, Fuse Box, and on some models, DRL module.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:04 AM
Novarider
Captain

Post a picture of the box in question

Old 03-16-2011, 12:32 PM
ColoradoRamLover
Veteran

haha

Old 03-16-2011, 12:44 PM
dodgeboy1979
All Star

that's the daytime running lights module. If your lights stay on with it plugged in and the truck off then it's toast.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:28 PM
FireDodge
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, pics would definately help here

Old 03-16-2011, 08:16 PM
VEETEN
Captain
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the Canadian nailed it...LOL
Must be because they are used to the daytime running lights.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:12 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

Its the DRL module...

If your 4wd works but not the light its either the switch on the CAD unit or wiring to /from it.

Last edited by dsertdog56; 03-16-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:31 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by joeyd208
...its bolted to the wheel well it has a mopar sign or something on it mine is unplugged i know that it has SOMETHING to do with the head lights because when i plug it in my brights turn on and and they wont turn off, when its unplugged my lights work fine but when i flash my brights i dont get the bright signal inside the cab then if i get out plug it in with my lights already on normal the bright signal turns on then when i flash to the brights both the dim and brights turn on and if i turn the truck off wit it still plugged in the and push my lights to off they stay on and wont turn off unless i unplug that box?

That there gets the best run on sentence of the year award cuz it goes on for a really super de duper long time and I read the goldarn thing 6 or 7 times or maybe it was only 5 but I bet it was at least 6 and with all the times I read it I still couldnt quite understand what you were saying because it was such a mega long sentance I mean I can kinda understand a little but yet its hard to but I get what your saying I think. Almost.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:03 AM
Mad_Scientist
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joeyd208

I have a 95 1500 4wd 5.2

Can anyone tell me what the little black box under the hood on the driver side is?

It's bolted to the wheel well and has a mopar sign or something on it. I know that it has to do with the head lights because when i plug it in my brights turn on and and they wont turn off.

When its unplugged my lights work fine except that when I flash my brights the dash light doesn't come on. If I plug it in with my lights already on the the dash light comes on, but if I flash to the brights both the dim and brights turn on. If I turn the truck off with it still plugged in and try to turn my lights off they stay on and wont turn off unless I unplug the box.

Also, I have another (possibly related) question: When I engage 4WD the 4WD light does not turn on but my 4WD still works. I checked the 4x4 sensor plug and it's plugged in so I'm wondering if maybe the box has something to do with that also?

Can anyone tell me what that little box is called and it's purpose?
^^^fixed by your friendly neighborhood grammar ****

Not sure about the box. As previously stated, pics would help tremendously.

Does your 4wd light come on when you start the truck? If not, the bulb may be burned out... or it could have something to do with the mysterious little black box.

Originally Posted by olyelr
That there gets the best run on sentence of the year award cuz it goes on for a really super de duper long time and I read the goldarn thing 6 or 7 times or maybe it was only 5 but I bet it was at least 6 and with all the times I read it I still couldnt quite understand what you were saying because it was such a mega long sentance I mean I can kinda understand a little but yet its hard to but I get what your saying I think. Almost.
^^^^LOL, kinda got that feeling too.

Last edited by Mad_Scientist; 03-17-2011 at 12:55 AM.

Quick Reply: little black box under the hood??