2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4950 lbs of dirt in a 4980 lb truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 08:33 AM
dipsherry
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i had to go back for a second load i asked for half the yards i had the first trip... in all honestly i didnt think my truck was overloaded that much till i hit the scales i know it squatted but for 230xx miles and stock springs with block i was pretty proud of it yeah...the second load was right around 2200 pounds. and i looked it up payload is 2140 for my truck which i stayed pretty close to. i think i will invest in a set of air bags just cause i dont want to do that again. and break something. i have a trailer but didnt think dirt would stay on it to well with the broken floors and all...

Old 03-19-2011, 08:38 AM
dipsherry
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by DukesOfHazzard
That's actually a pretty sad squat pic of your truck (yeah i know its 2wd), even though your proud of it with a couple wheel barrels full of dirt, doesnt do your truck justice at all sorry not a hater but telling it how it is.
from what i understand payload on the 2wd is more than the 4x4. if that was only a couple of wheel barrels of dirt. i sure dont know what i did wrong cause it took 2 healthy guys around a hour n half to scoop it all out. ( only one beer break). you figure i have 230xxx miles on stock springs and my tires were sunk in prolly 3 inches... not trying to start a argument just not sure how bad my truck should sag with the weight of another truck in the bed sorry guess i shouldnt be proud of the old clunker

Old 03-19-2011, 08:42 AM
dipsherry
Record Breaker

here is a chart i found i know it for 01 but figured it should be close

http://dodgeram.info/2001/towing-charts.html

Old 03-19-2011, 10:45 AM
DukesOfHazzard
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's all good just teasing

Old 03-19-2011, 11:35 AM
aszarek001
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had Timbrens on my Dakota before I bought a Ram. They were great, and they do hit the axle when you hit a bump, but it has to be a pretty big bump!

Old 03-19-2011, 08:08 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you can around here and started doing that I would be more than glad to take a pic and call DOT on you thats stupid.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:04 PM
charlie1935
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dipsherry
i know i was a little over the limit i know for a fact it was 4950lbs of dirt...i had to hit the scales before i left ( just out of curosity.) i went in it said 4980 left it was at 9931...she did ok didnt sway to bad i just wish it wouldnt squat so bad...i know it was heavy stuff the 6 days of rain and snow melt everything is heavy... it sucked shoveling out this crap... let me go look at my sticker gvwr says 6400 lbs oopps ...glad johnny lay didnt get me...just glad i didnt break anything...to be honest i am happy and proud of my old truck she did good
If you have B license on your truck you can legally gross 8000 lbs in IL.
If you had got caught you would have had a nice fine and made to get it to legal weight or buy the next class license.
Each solution would be several hundred dollars.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:03 AM
dipsherry
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dodge15004x45.9
If you can around here and started doing that I would be more than glad to take a pic and call DOT on you thats stupid.
thanks johnny law. I didnt realize how much weight it was i figured a level 8 foot bed should keep me with in payload. i guess wrong. hell i already paid for it and surely wasnt about to go back and have them unload it while i was on the scales. i only drove a few miles all back roads and i kept it under 20mph... but thanks for saying i'm stupid and you would call dot on me.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:34 AM
redneck_ram
Champion

Originally Posted by dipsherry
thanks johnny law. I didnt realize how much weight it was i figured a level 8 foot bed should keep me with in payload. i guess wrong. hell i already paid for it and surely wasnt about to go back and have them unload it while i was on the scales. i only drove a few miles all back roads and i kept it under 20mph... but thanks for saying i'm stupid and you would call dot on me.
i agree with you. thats low of him to say that. you obviously didnt know how much weight you had until you hit the scales. i wouldnt have unloaded it either if i had already paid for it. big deal, you had that much in the bed. you did it once, and im sure it wont happen again because you wouldnt want to damage your truck. ive had well over 2k lbs in the bed of my quad cab short bed, and it was steel not dirt. and my truck barely squatted as well.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:58 AM
dipsherry
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by redneck_ram
i agree with you. thats low of him to say that. you obviously didnt know how much weight you had until you hit the scales. i wouldnt have unloaded it either if i had already paid for it. big deal, you had that much in the bed. you did it once, and im sure it wont happen again because you wouldnt want to damage your truck. ive had well over 2k lbs in the bed of my quad cab short bed, and it was steel not dirt. and my truck barely squatted as well.
yeah u better beleive i now know how much weight is to much...i only looked at my springs and they still had arch so i thought i was ok... thats why the second load i got half and it kept me in payload range...and it drove great...I am building up a new motocross track and now know the limits of my rig when i go to get dirt i know what she can handle...and next time i will be doing the tarp and the trailer trick lol.

Quick Reply: 4950 lbs of dirt in a 4980 lb truck