2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 11:25 PM
catota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine light

My truck came with one key.Went and had 3 more made for spears.started and turned off truck with each one making sure they fit properly. Now cel is on and not sure why. Did I somehow make it do this by starting and turning the truck on and off 3-4 times in a row. Runs fine no difference . just light is on,any help or ideas thanks in advance.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:01 AM
lukeca
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check this thread for the procedure to get the code that is lighting up the CEL, then report back here with the code and you can probably get more help.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...code-list.html

Old 03-20-2011, 09:30 AM
catota

Thanks, I'll try that but the truck never had the cel on till by accident i must have done something similar to what your saying to do to check codes. I'll get back with what the odom says

Old 03-20-2011, 09:55 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Disconnect the negative battery terminal for a few minutes, this will reset the PCM. Then see if the light comes back.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:54 PM
catota

It comes up p0138 then says done. But whats odd is this light was not on before i did what i said in op[.Maybe ssome of you have experienced something similar,any ideas would be great . Maybe I'll try the negetive cable and see if it comes back on our not?

Last edited by catota; 03-20-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:59 PM
catota

I did the negetive cable trick and so far the cel light is not coming on if it is going to do so does anyone know how long you would have to drive till it returns, if it is really getting a code

Old 03-20-2011, 07:14 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

have you done the key dance trick yet?

turn truck off, turn key ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON, and leave it....the CEL will flash with a code. it will go.....blink-blink-blink short pause blink-blink....that means code 32 (which is what i have).....this will tell you if the code is still stored.......once you see it blink 5 times, short pause blink 5 times...this is code 55 which means end of codes...between each set of numbers there will be a longer pause, so you will know when its between codes...tell me the numbers you get and i can tell you what each mean.....i know the light is off, but this is to see if its still stored, which if it is stored, then it will come on again....

sounds confusing, but its very simple......

Old 03-21-2011, 12:53 AM
lukeca
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well p0138 is to high voltage read at the downstream 02 sensor, could have just been a fluke reading from turning the truck off and on so many times, or maybe a sign that your O2 sensor is going bad. I wouldn't worry about it to much, if the code comes back with regular driving then you might need to just replace the sensor. From what I understand that sensor won't affect how the engine runs, it is just for monitoring emissions, so you would fail a smog check if that sensor isn't working.

From this doc: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/vi...3525_p0138.pdf

It looks like that code gets generated after 4 minutes of engine run time at operating temp, so if it didn't come back on in that time period you are good to go I think

Old 03-21-2011, 01:48 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by catota
so does anyone know how long you would have to drive till it returns, if it is really getting a code
The hot ticket: When you've got more than 50 miles behind you with no CEL, throw a code reader on there and check for pending codes. If it's not in the pending queue, it was probably just a glitch. If it's in the pending queue, you might want to replace the sensor so it won't be something to think about -- or so you can pass an inspection if that's a concern in your locale.

A failed downstream sensor isn't a performance problem, but it's bad to get into the habit of ignoring the CEL.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:55 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

i worked in an inspection Garage, and we told the customers to drive at least 200 miles for the code to clear the rediness monitor....ive seen vehicles go 200 miles with no CEL, but the code is still stored, and they STILL cant get a sticker...it has to clear the monitor......if you go to AutoZone, and ask them to scan the light....tell them to look up the "rediness monitors" this will tell ypou if its clearned or not...and they dont charge anything to see it.,

Quick Reply: check engine light