2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

transmision surging

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 11:52 PM
Mad_Scientist
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mctdi
True, trans issues will be unchanged by different fuel.

Maybe my truck is sick, but on my 97 Ram1500 with reg. unleaded on a highway, 55-65 MPH, any head wind or little high will get it to kick out of OD. And with premium, it takes a big hill.

If a different grade of gas seems to "fix" it, you are not having a tranny issue. Perhaps you are perceiving it to be the transmission when the engine is the real culprit.

In a headwind, the engine has added resistance to overcome to maintain speed. If there is a knock/predet issue, the engine isnt running at maximum efficiency, and thus is unable to overcome the added strain of the wind; which would slow you down, and make the TC unlock (which would feel like a downshift).

Higher octane gas (premium) reduces knock, which allows the pcm to trim fuel better (when it notices knock, it tries to rectify the situation by adjusting a/f ratio and spark timing, which essentially neuters the truck). Better fuel trim nets better performance, which translates to being able to overcome more resistance.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:08 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

PCM on these trucks don't have a clue if the engine is pinging or not. There is no knock sensor.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:42 PM
mctdi
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad_Scientist
If a different grade of gas seems to "fix" it, you are not having a tranny issue. Perhaps you are perceiving it to be the transmission when the engine is the real culprit.

In a headwind, the engine has added resistance to overcome to maintain speed. If there is a knock/predet issue, the engine isnt running at maximum efficiency, and thus is unable to overcome the added strain of the wind; which would slow you down, and make the TC unlock (which would feel like a downshift).

Higher octane gas (premium) reduces knock, which allows the pcm to trim fuel better (when it notices knock, it tries to rectify the situation by adjusting a/f ratio and spark timing, which essentially neuters the truck). Better fuel trim nets better performance, which translates to being able to overcome more resistance.
When I first bought the truck, I though the trany was needing an overhaul. Then I noticed when running premium, for the idea of cleaning the fuel system due to the higher level of cleaners in premium, the truck does not downshift near as much. Switched back and forth between reg. & premium fuel, and with premium the truck does not downshift near as much. For some reason my truck does not run well on reg. gasoline. I do not hear any knocking or see any misfiring recorded.

Quick Reply: transmision surging