2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hughes is ridiculous...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 10:22 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fwiw, i'd try to call them and ask as if you didn't send the email and see what they say. I do agree that $50 + ship is a tad steep. However, if you are **** like you say... i'd suggest bending over just so your not rigging something up. Good luck

Old 03-23-2011, 10:31 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

jw ,who you buy it from, hope he took off the price of what he didnt send too you so you can buy the correct parts you need to do the install

Old 03-23-2011, 11:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

a couple of pieces of tube, and some bent steel? Make them yourself. You can get everything you need at any hardware store.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:13 PM
Arachnyd
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You complain that $50 is steep, but if you can't get it cheaper anywhere else, then isnt it more than fair? I don't think this is really a fair attack on Hughes. I've never heard anything bad about them as a company, and if you bought this new from hughes, I'd be jumping on your bandwagon, but you bought it used from someone and your upset that Hughes charges whatever it charges? Last time I needed a repair part for my camaro I went to Chevy and laughed because their price was about 5x what Advance Auto charged me, but I'm not about to attach chevy for that? I dunno.. just doesn't quite seem right to me, and felt it only fair to step in and give some props to hughes. You can always make your own, or have someone custom fabricate you some , but then you may find hughes is a cheaper alternative to the time and effort?

At the same time I certainly support you searching for an alternative to that high priced option, but finding another solution and attacking the company to me seem very different, but maybe thats just because of principles?

Good luck! If I think of any other solutions I'll come back with a value-add!

Old 03-23-2011, 11:42 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Arachnyd
You complain that $50 is steep, but if you can't get it cheaper anywhere else, then isnt it more than fair?
I definitely respect what your saying, but isn't that just saying that since I can't find easily anywhere else, that they can charge whatever they want? I could understand if it was a complex piece to manufacturer, but it's essentially a thick piece of short pipe...and the brackets are just a 3/4 inch wide flat bar with 2 holes in them. More time and energy goes into making a PCV valve then making those brackets and spacers. I'm just saying...if worst comes to worst, I'll just make them. I just don't really have the time.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:32 AM
MedicNathan
Veteran

Originally Posted by J415
I definitely respect what your saying, but isn't that just saying that since I can't find easily anywhere else, that they can charge whatever they want? I could understand if it was a complex piece to manufacturer, but it's essentially a thick piece of short pipe...and the brackets are just a 3/4 inch wide flat bar with 2 holes in them. More time and energy goes into making a PCV valve then making those brackets and spacers. I'm just saying...if worst comes to worst, I'll just make them. I just don't really have the time.
Supply and demand is a real witch some times

Old 03-24-2011, 09:21 AM
bmergner
Rookie

and buying used is sometimes buying a problem....... one off parts carry one off prices..

Old 03-24-2011, 10:41 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have run the air gap without the a/c bracket or alt bracket since I've had it without problems. Its been 1 1/2 years at least. If you're worried about it, you could even stack a bunch of washers on the bolt to bridge the right gap.

I agree 100% that Hughes has a problem with their "proprietary" items pricing. That's robbery for a couple of aluminum dowels.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:36 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So after talking to Kevin from Hughes, and him wanting $21 jut for those 2 spacers, I decided to look at alternative means. I went to the local hardware store and ended up finding some turnbuckles that would work great as spacers. I would post an pic, but I haven't a clue on how to do so. Problem solved, and it only cost me $4.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:20 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

There is a pic upload here at df, but paying a link from photobucket is much easier.

I would like to see what you are referring to, not sure what a turnbuckle is. Got a link to a pic online?

Quick Reply: Hughes is ridiculous...