2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Drive Shaft and Rear Axle Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 09:55 AM
Oren09
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drive Shaft and Rear Axle Problems

My driveshaft fell off last night while driving down the highway at 60MPH.
The little bolts that hold the u joint to the diff yoke sheared off.
The shaft hit the ground but didn't come out of the transfer case. I pulled it out and drove home. I just took it to a shop to have them take a look at it.
The shaft is bent and can't be rebuilt. They said call a junkyard.
The diff yoke is loose and oil is sprayed all over the underside of the truck. My rear end has been having problems for awhile. It hums/whines constantly. It's loudest when I left off the gas and coast or on a right hand curve and the weight shifts to the left or when stopping (It sounds like my truck is winding down.. haha)
The shop said if the yoke is loose (it was tightened down about two months ago. I had to get a tow when my right front bearing went out and the tow driver pulled the driveshaft (auto tranny). They noticed the loose yoke and tightened it down but said it probably wouldn't last. I've driven about 4,000 miles since then) and the diff whines that it's probably bad and not even worth messing with fixing the yoke. To quote "like putting a bandaide on it"
From what I've read on here about the Chrysler 9.25s and from searching "drive shaft fell off" what he says seems about right. What do y'all think?
Anyway, the shop said to get a driveshaft and axle from a junkyard and they'll install it.

Should I try to find another 9.25 with LSD or go for a Dana 60? I'd like to have LSD because I do go offroad and drive through snow when I'm in Montana. I'm currently in Midlothian, TX (south DFW) just for reference.

Thanks for your input. I just want to make sure I replace things that need it and don't spend too much.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:59 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd replace the axle with what is in it now. D60 will require some modifications to do with springs and driveshaft.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:02 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Stick with the 9.25 rear, else, you are also going to need to either replace the spring perches on the axle, or, replace you leaf springs, frame end spring mounts, etc. Not to mention the additional cost involved......

See what's available in your area for rear ends. The factory LSD wasn't really the best, but, it's better than not having one at all. Might even want to have it rebuilt while they are doing the axle swap. If you can find one for a decent price, go for it. No such thing as a "bad" upgrade.

Make sure you get the correct length driveshaft too.....

Good Luck.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:26 AM
Oren09
Veteran

Thanks. I figured the D60 would be some trouble. Just wondering because of the 9.25 problems.

The junkyard the shop told me about said $550 for entire rear end (9.25 with 3.55 ratio and LSD) and driveshaft.
I've been to other yards around here (Midlothian, Waxahachie) and they don't have any 4x4s.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:40 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

The axles are same 2wd or 4wd, so the shaft is the only difference. Do you have a driveshaft shop around? They can make you one, at the very least you should have the junk yard one checked.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:11 AM
dodgeboy1979
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just get a local macine shop to make you one, you still have the old one so they can take measurements off etc....i had one made for my 1996 cummins for $400 out of stainless.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:23 AM
Oren09
Veteran

The junkyard only wants $50 for the driveshaft.
They didn't have any LSD axles until I mentioned it was a 4x4.

I don't know if any of the 2wd Rams I've seen around here have an LSD or not, but they are all sitting on the ground and u-pull-its. Not sure how I would remove the axle. I'm getting numbers to call around to the yards I've been to before.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:00 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by Oren09
The junkyard only wants $50 for the driveshaft.
They didn't have any LSD axles until I mentioned it was a 4x4.

I don't know if any of the 2wd Rams I've seen around here have an LSD or not, but they are all sitting on the ground and u-pull-its. Not sure how I would remove the axle. I'm getting numbers to call around to the yards I've been to before.
No difference, 2 or 4wd with a 9 1/4 corporate mopar rear axle. And have the driveshaft checked for balance no matter what.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:37 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

the axle is actually really easy to replace.....its literally 8 bolts (another 4 for driveshaft, but you dont need to worry about it) couple 10mm bolts that hold down the brake lines, and thats about it.....and take the ebrake cable off, and unscrew brake lines, but other that that its a breeze.....i put a 9.25 axle in a 03 dakota and took me all of 4 hours, by myself, on the ground, only jacks, and no air tools.

try http://car-part.com this will be easier then calling every junkyard.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:33 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

axle housing is easy to remove in the junkyard.

some yards will cut the shackles and shocks with a torch for free, and in about 30 seconds its on the ground.

if you have to do it all yourself, they will set the vehicle up on a rigid rack, where you can get under it and unbolt things. you'll need all your own tools, including penetrating oil, pull bar, impact, etc. a jack is useful, as well as a couple of buddies to drag it out and load it.

sometimes the yard will set it up on the rack for free, and instead of wrestling with the bolts, you can pay the yard man a $10-20 tip to cut it out with his torch.

Quick Reply: Drive Shaft and Rear Axle Problems