2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

trans year application help

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 02:19 PM
xxxcowxboyxxx
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans year application help

was wondering if a tranny and transfer case from a 99 1500 sport will work in my 96? i know they changed some stuff in 98 but i wasnt sure im no trans guy, so a little help would be nice, thanks as always guys

Old 03-24-2011, 02:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

Possibly some connectors will be different, that should be about it.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:44 PM
KY BIGRAM
Veteran

I know a '96 t-case will not bolt to my '04 tranny. Busted my t-case and was going to swap but the input shaft was shorter. Now I have a freshened 1996 t-case and matching transmission for sale,
$300 for both.
Not sure about the difference with '96-99, I would check a shop if no one can answer here.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:44 PM
xxxcowxboyxxx
All Star

alright thats what i thought. my truck still isnt right, and i found on CL for 300 bucks that trans and transfer case so figured i would pick it up if it would work. still hoping my sh*t will dry out and straighten itself out.
someone mentioned to me that the "body control module" may be fried ? any thoughts or input on that ?

Old 03-24-2011, 02:46 PM
xxxcowxboyxxx
All Star

KY BIGRAM i would take you up on your offer as im thinking about this other offer if you werent hundreds of miles from me. sorry

Old 03-24-2011, 03:27 PM
KY BIGRAM
Veteran

Yeah distance is usually the issue. What actually is the problem? My tranny just recently started slipping in 2nd gear and has a slow leak coming from the front. Gonna try to adjust the bands before lettting a shop empty my pockets.

My truck is strictly for offroad, similar to yours.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:45 PM
xxxcowxboyxxx
All Star

whelp i was bogging over the weekend and trailriding for hours where the trans was left in D but never left first gear bc if trail speed and then when i got off the trail to the road its almost like the trans got a memory and wanted to stay in first. after several attempts i was finally able to get it to run the gears by basically beating the sh*t out of it peddling it and with the column. it ran fine for the 30 mile highway ride home and then after i got off the highway and onto the road, same things again, now it shifts second but doesnt wanna go to any further unless you beat it up and even sometimes then it took me a few miles for it to leave second today.
also it feels liek somethign is wrong with the kickdown or TV cable not sure, when i come to a stop i have to drop my column back to 1 then back to D bc if not it feels like the truck has no power and is still in 3rd gear or whatever,
also now its starting to miss at 2700 rpm or WOT. not a single cylindar miss, but like a complete coil misfire. only when its in gear though or under load, if i throw it in neutral itll run 6000 rps and never miss a beat.
shes about to get full coverage and meet a maple if you catch my drift

Old 03-24-2011, 03:54 PM
KY BIGRAM
Veteran

It's fiaxable, steer clea from maple a little longer. My truck did the same thing in the woods one day. Climbing a steap rock and it jumped out. When I got back to the roads it done exactly the same as yours. Someone told me they have what is called a "limp out" mode so you do not get stranded somewhere. So what I did in despiration was unhook my batteries for a while, and , it freakin fixed it!!!!

Give it a try, it may work for you. Ease up on that beast a little and keep it around.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:55 PM
KY BIGRAM
Veteran

Noticed you are running lockers front and rear, are you still stock or did you swap D 60/70 yet?

Old 03-24-2011, 04:10 PM
xxxcowxboyxxx
All Star

no i did the dana 60 swap a few months ago

Quick Reply: trans year application help