2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How can I make my tranny last longer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 11:14 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

--Trans temp gauge. Knowing your temp is the first step in preventing overheating. Without a temp gauge, all you are doing is throwing parts at it and hoping they are doing their job.
--Trans cooler - large one - the larger the better
--Transgo shift kit - dramatically reduces slippage that causes heat in the first place. SK®TFOD-Jr - http://www.transgo.com/sk_dodge.php

If you plan to keep running 35's, get gears - 4.56 if you drive mostly normal city and highway - 4.88 if you do mostly towing and off-roading. Your truck will thank you with both performance and longevity of drivetrain components.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:29 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver_Dodge
--Trans temp gauge. Knowing your temp is the first step in preventing overheating. Without a temp gauge, all you are doing is throwing parts at it and hoping they are doing their job.
--Trans cooler - large one - the larger the better
--Transgo shift kit - dramatically reduces slippage that causes heat in the first place. SK®TFOD-Jr - http://www.transgo.com/sk_dodge.php

If you plan to keep running 35's, get gears - 4.56 if you drive mostly normal city and highway - 4.88 if you do mostly towing and off-roading. Your truck will thank you with both performance and longevity of drivetrain components.
This is sage advice from someone who's actually done the work...

If the OP is gonna run 35s and 3:55s he should know what his tranny is doing temp wise.
I'll hazard a guess you don't tow very often or only on flat surfaces, because I know how hard it is too move a trailer from a dead stop with 33s and 3:55s... and how how quickly the trans temp guage heads for the wrong side of the scale.

So I would limit your towing and as others stated no OD...or swap to the proper gears and find your lost torque and power band again. I can speak from my "limited" experience and tell you that your tranny will still get hot and potentialy roast itself with all the bolt tranny on mods listed. That's because I have them all except the gears.

As far as mileage, I only ask you pull up the recent thread commenting on a recent TV show where some intrepid mechanics pulled 16 mpg out of a ram with 35s and 4:56s. I still believe the gears made the most difference other than the vacum guage.

The comment about the old lady made me LMPOTFAO... in fact I just this conversation came up briefly between myself and my SO just yesterday. I reminded her in love that as long as my obligations to the mortgage co and my creditors were being handled....again nicely...that it is my truck, to do with as I will.
And thanks to my mortgage co and my creditors, that is precisely why I have not shelled out the big bucks for gears...

Last edited by dsertdog56; 03-27-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:53 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sct is good for the tranny no joke !

Quick Reply: How can I make my tranny last longer?